AnsweredAssumed Answered

Spatial reference does not match data frame

Question asked by joincto on Apr 3, 2016
Latest reply on Apr 11, 2016 by GSCUser85

Can someone answer this question. It is not peculiar to any version of Arcmap desktop: I have seen it in 10.0, 10.1,10.2,10.3 and 10.4.

When I "start editing" from the editor toolbar I get a dialogue box asking which layer or workspace I wish to edit.

After I choose one I get another warning dialogue box which lists all (well, all, as far as I can tell) the layers in the frame and where each one has a message "Spatial reference does not match data frame". There are many layers in my frames because I am using Business Analyst basemaps which have multiple datasets which display at different scale values.

Why do I get this message? Both the data frame and the layers are using the same geographic coordinate system (WGS_84), although the former is projecting the data using the World Mercator projection.

The warnings don't prevent my being able to edit the data: I am only editing fields which are not geographic. But the message seems to imply that if I were digitizing new features that I would be met with failure.

Outcomes