Route service description was not reached or recognized. Please check sevice URL and/or credentials, if specified. Unable to route to these addresses.

04-04-2016 05:09 AM
InfoMobi
New Contributor

I am created a new web app. I used the Local Perspective template.  The template claims to provide "demographic data, lifestyle data, live weather feed, and directions."

I uploaded my data. When I click on the directions, I get the following error messages:

Route service description was not reached or recognized.  Please check sevice URL and/or credentials, if specified.  Unable to route to these addresses.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Info Mobi,

Use of esri directions requires use of credits as was likely explained in the help document from the Local Perspective template app. You will need to read the help on how to configure the template to connect to your AGOL account.

0 Kudos
InfoMobi
New Contributor

You reference a help document without stating where one can find the help document.  The following document does not directly address routing. http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=6e02b538bea841ed858ef9f52709b655

Also, here are the available options when using the app builder:

Configure Web App

• Map
  • General
  • Options

What Doesn’t Use Service Credits?

• Using mapping, business, and configurable apps to access the data you store in ArcGIS Online.
  • Use of ArcGIS Online foundation maps and data (e.g., basemaps, Landsat imagery, landscape layers, live traffic and other live feeds).
  • Exporting data stored in ArcGIS Online.
  • Single address or place search.
  • Leveraging your own ArcGIS for Server capabilities to host and publish map services.

The Route Service

The route service can be used to find the best way to get from one location to another or to visit several locations.

The Closest Facility Service

Finding the closest hospital to an accident, the closest police cars to a crime scene, and the closest store to a customer's address are all examples of problems that can be solved using the closest facility service.

The Local Perspective app provides the functionality of the "closest facility service" for free; e.g., it "Highlights features within a buffered distance of a user-selected location."

The problem is that although the Local Perspective app promises to also provide the route service, it does not; e.g., "Also provides demographic data, lifestyle data, live weather feed, and directions." 

Moreover, the Directions web app template "Provides directions from a user selected address or location to the nearest destination feature." So, the Directions template covers the Route Service functionality for free.

One option is perhaps to combine the Directions template with the Local Perspective template?

Finally, I also notice a difference between the Local Perspective versus Directions templates.  Under Subscriber Content, Local Perspective just has route. Directions has Route and Closest Facility.  Perhaps the Local Perspective template needs to be updated to include the Closes Facility option?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Info Mobi,

Sorry I was not more clear. The help I was referring to is the readme.md file that you see then you go to the github site for that template (specifically number 3):

Deploying

1. To deploy this application, download the template from Portal/ArcGIS Online and unzip it.
  2. Copy the unzipped folder containing the web app template files, such as index.html, to your web server. You can rename the folder to change the URL through which users will access the application. By default the URL to the app will behttp://<Your Web Server>/<app folder name>/index.html
  3. Change the sharing host, found in defaults.js inside the config folder for the application, to the sharing URL for ArcGIS Online or Portal. For ArcGIS Online users, keep the default value of www.arcgis.com or specify the name of your organization.
    • ArcGIS Online Example: "sharinghost": location.protocol + "//" + “<your organization name>.maps.arcgis.com
    • Portal Example where arcgis is the name of the Web Adaptor: "sharinghost": location.protocol + "//" + "webadaptor.domain.com/arcgis"
  4. If you are using Portal or a local install of the ArcGIS API for JavaScript, change all references to the ArcGIS API for JavaScript in index.html to refer to your local copy of the API. Search for the references containing"//js.arcgis.com/3.16" and replace this portion of the reference with the url to your local install.
    • For example: "//webadaptor.domain.com/arcgis/jsapi/jsapi" where arcgis is the name of your Web Adaptor.
  5. Copy a map or group ID from Portal/ArcGIS Online and replace the default web map ID in the application’s index.html page. You can now run the application on your web server or customize the application further.

Note: If your application edits features in a feature service, contains secure services or web maps that aren't shared publicly, or generate requests that exceed 200 characters, you may need to set up and use a proxy page. Common situations where you may exceed the URL length are using complex polygons as input to a task or specifying a spatial reference using well-known text (WKT). For details on installing and configuring a proxy page see Using the proxy. If you do not have an Internet connection, you will need to access and deploy the ArcGIS API for JavaScript documentation from developers.arcgis.com.

If you have issues/bugs or enhancement requests then you should log those to the templates github page.

InfoMobi
New Contributor
0 Kudos