AnsweredAssumed Answered

Set ArcMap Option Defaults Using Python Script

Question asked by wesley.king on Apr 2, 2016
Latest reply on Apr 3, 2016 by curtvprice

Hi Everyone,

At work I have a recommended set of ArcMap/AcrCatalog Options, Geoprocessing Options, Editor Options, and Environmental Settings that I would like to share with everyone in my office, without having to go to their workstation and walk them through manually making these changes in ArcCatalog/ArcMap.  Just to be clear, these are the settings found under Geoprocessing > Geoprocessing Options, Customize > ArcMap Options, etc.  For instance, I would like this script to access the editor options and set the 'Direction Type' to 'North Azimuth', change the 'Sticky Tolerance' to 7 pixels, etc.  I usually walk people through about 10-15 settings.

Yes I have created a document providing instructions on what and how to make these changes, but what's the fun in that?  Not to mention the casual users usually get lost and need help despite the document.

Because of security at work, I only have admin privileges on a few computers so I'm trying to stay away from a script that accesses and edits the registry.  I would like to be able to have the person run a script from within ArcMap/ArcCatalog and make all these settings directly in an .mxd or ArcCatalog.  I believe this could be done with a config file, but I'm having fun learning Python and would like to see if this is possible exclusively with a Python script.

Any help/advice on if this is possible, and links to functions, etc. to accomplish, and links to examples would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to everyone's help in these forums.

Wes

Outcomes