Dependent fields in Collector

03-31-2016 02:17 PM
JolynnBecker
New Contributor

I'm looking for a way to hide or make available fields for the data collector to fill out based on their input in an earlier field. For example, I go out in the field and log a point as a "Valve." The form provides a drop-down menu of valve types. If I describe the point as a "Hydrant" instead, this menu is not visible. Is there a way to do this in Collector?

5 Replies
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

No, there is not. This is on our roadmap for a future release.

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
GISSupport3
Occasional Contributor III
Survey123 has this functionality
0 Kudos
VeronicaAnderson2
New Contributor III

Dear Esri,

I know you've been working on this for at least two years and I want to impress upon you how important this functionality is for field workers using Collector to gather survey information for engineering/land development/asset management projects. We are dying for this capability, please let us know you're taking it seriously! Survey123 is not a replacement for Collector yet so it is not helpful to have that capability in a separate app. Thank you for all you do!

ScottFierro2

Veronica, so there is a very not so good and takes a little work way we discovered to force a "required fields" scenario. We have brought it up with ESRI and it's deemed more of a BUG than an intended scenario or solution. So at the moment this does work and is a repeatable process but can't guarantee how long it will continue to work for. Some of our staff put together a good write up on it but its far too long with too many screen shots to past into here. If you would like it you can email me at scott.fierro@dot.ohio.gov and I can pass you the Word document on this.

0 Kudos
ScottFierro2

Jolynn Becker​ great question and this is referred to as "Skip Logic" Skip Logic – Survey Response Path Based on Answers | SurveyMonkey . We have done monthly or bi-monthly meetings with a PM for all of ESRI's mobile app solutions and raised this issue a while ago. As @Kylie Donia said above they are looking into providing this functionality in a future release. By all means though keep posting and pushing this stuff on the Ideas pages to help stress the high user need for it.