Found another glitch <sigh>

03-31-2016 09:13 AM
KeithD1
New Contributor III

I discovered an inexplicable and serious "glitch" while using ArcGIS 10.1 SP1 for Desktop (Build 3143).

Here's what's happening:

I start with a shapefile, and join a table onto it which contains a variety of fields. One of these fields contains numbers ranging from 0 to several thousand,  representing vehicle crash rates. I then export the layer to a new shapefile in order to share the data outside my organization. For some strange reason, in the exported shapefile, any crash rate above 100 has been divided by 100. Numbers below 100 are unaffected. For example, if the rate was 117, it now displays as 1.17. And if the rate was 99, it will still be 99.

Any idea what's going on? I'm stumped...forum searches turn up nothing.

Additional details:

It doesn't matter whether the joined table is a .dbf or an Excel (.xls) sheet. I have not tried exporting to a featureclass because my customers expect a shapefile. If I open the resulting .dbf attribute table (part of the shapefile) in an external viewer, I can see that the numbers truly have been impacted. It's not simply a display issue in ArcMap.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Keith,

Have you tried exporting your shapefile to a geodatabase and performed the join then?

0 Kudos
KeithD1
New Contributor III

I'll give that a try, thanks.

0 Kudos