ArcGis descktop 10, every time I try to download a map package I get a message: invalid package> error reading package content

03-29-2016 12:36 PM
asafshnel
New Contributor

hello, my name is Asaf and I recently installed ArcGis descktop 10, Every time I try to download a map package I get a message: invalid package> error reading package content. I'd be gratefull to hear from anyone how might know how to solve this problem

here are the steps I took to download and install the program:

ArcGIS for Desktop Student Trial software Instructions

A. Before you install ArcGIS for Desktop   

1. Check Esri’s system requirements to make sure your computer has the hardware and software required for the trial.
  2. If necessary, uninstall previous versions of ArcGIS Desktop or Server.  The software cannot be installed on a computer that has a previous version of ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Server installed. It's OK if the computer has ArcGIS Explorer installed.
  3. If necessary, install the Microsoft .NET Framework (version 3.5 Service Pack 1 or higher).

B. Activate your authorization code 

1. Visit www.esri.com/educationedition to begin the process of activating and downloading your ArcGIS for Desktop Student Trial software.
  2. Log in using your Existing Esri Global Account, or Sign-up for a new Esri Global account, if necessary.
  3. Enter the authorization code EVAxxxxxxxx9 and click Activate ArcGIS.
  4. Click ArcGIS 10.0 for Desktop.

C. Download and install ArcGIS for Desktop Student Trial

1. If you would like the software in a language other than English, select your preferred language.
  2. Click the link “a. Download ArcGIS Desktop 10.”  You can also download the Tutorial data, if desired.
  3. If you are installing from an ISO image, locate and unzip the ArcGIS for Desktop ISO using 7-Zip.
  4. Locate and Run Setup.exe to install ArcGIS for Desktop. The “Complete” installation is recommended.
  5. After the files are installed, the Authorization Wizard will open and prompt you to choose a product to authorize; select “ArcGIS Desktop – ArcInfo (Single Use)” and click continue.
  6. The Authorization Wizard will prompt you for an authorization code; enter your activated code.  Follow the prompts and the software will authorize and be ready for use.  Note: leave the default option for the software extensions selected; they will be authorized automatically

Thanks Asaf

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

arcmap 10.0, 10.1 ... 10.3.1, 10.4 ?  and in what version was the map package created in?

0 Kudos
asafshnel
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply,

I have ArcGis desktop 10.0 I am not sure which version the map packages I

am trying to open were made with, but the only one I could open is the one

I uploaded my self which is in version 10.0.

One of the ones I couldn't open is the U.S. counties layer, the first map u

see when you go to add data online through arcmap.

Asaf

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Asaf,

According to the documentation, map packages can be opened in any ArcGIS software version 10.0 or higher, so the versioning shouldn't be an issue. Did you create this map package? Or did you get the package elsewhere? Is there a way that you can upload the map package to this thread so that others can test it?

asafshnel
New Contributor

Hi Adrian, the one I uploaded I made myself as part of a course taken

throw Coursera.org, I can open that one. I'll put the url for it tomorrow,

it's shared publicly on my arcgis.com account. I'll check the url for one I

can't open too.

Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you checked this link 41500 - Error reading package contents ?

Moreover, One (who created the package) needs to create the Map package for 10 or ALL, if you want to extract it with ArcGIS 10.0 for Desktop.

Think Location
asafshnel
New Contributor

Hi Jayanata, I checked the link you gave me and updated Microsoft.net framework to 4.6.1 but it didn't help, I also tried to open(unpack) the package with ArcCatalog but for some reason when I browse for the package with ArcCatalog or ArcMap it doesn't show, even though its in: my pc>downloads. here is the url for the package I did and uploaded my self, which I can open:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=c07a40e45f0f40309d587b483ca2509f

one example of a package I cant open is the U.S. counties layer which is the first one in the featured maps when clicking add data from ArcGIS online on ArcMap. I don't know which version was used to make it, only that it was made in 2012.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

loaded directly from the site in 10.3.1

It is your system or something... or don't use catalog... there is a direct load option other than the download to disk

demo_map_package.png

0 Kudos
asafshnel
New Contributor

I tried to open directly and download to disc , didn't work

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

something is wrong with your arc* then.  The install is corrupt...too old... too sick, improperly installed ... or X ... it is impossible to decipher from the outcomes that you have... other than the fact that you can load your own.  So something that you create knows something about your arc* that other things don't know.

0 Kudos