Change default role ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
03-24-2016 07:58 AM
MattMcGuire
Occasional Contributor

Using ArcIGS Online Organizational Account with enterprise logins. When a new user first visits the site, they are asked whether they would like to login with their enterprise login. If they do, an ArcGIS Online user is created that is synced up with their (in our case) Active Directory account through ADFS. This new user has a  "User"  role by default (and all the credits available to the orgnaization are available to this new user).

Is there a way to change the default role of new users? I have a custom role that I would like new users to be in which won't allow them to use credits. This would give us the opportunity to educate new users on how our organization uses credits before they can drain the whole credit pool.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Matt/Adrian,

I don't think the tools/scripts on the Admin wiki are required for this situation. You can select a custom role for new enterprise login users (just as long as the custom role doesn't have any administrative privileges, which it sounds like in your case it doesn't) in the organization settings.

My Organization > Edit Settings > Security > Enterprise Logins > Edit Identity Provider >

2016-03-24 at 11.39.29 AM.JPG

Hope this help!
Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Matt,

It does not look like this can happen automatically, at least from the documentation that I have read:

Invite and add members—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

1. Select a role. You cannot select administrator or a custom role with organization administration privileges during the invitation process. You can change the role after the member has joined the organization.
0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I did find some GitHub tools through an Esri blog:

ArcGIS Online admin tools available on GitHub | ArcGIS Blog

But these have not appeared to be updated in two years. Though Owen Evans is the owner of the tools. Maybe he can chime in?

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Matt/Adrian,

I don't think the tools/scripts on the Admin wiki are required for this situation. You can select a custom role for new enterprise login users (just as long as the custom role doesn't have any administrative privileges, which it sounds like in your case it doesn't) in the organization settings.

My Organization > Edit Settings > Security > Enterprise Logins > Edit Identity Provider >

2016-03-24 at 11.39.29 AM.JPG

Hope this help!
Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
MattMcGuire
Occasional Contributor

That's the ticket. I was looking in the Role Admin panel. Thanks!

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Thanks for the help Owen!

0 Kudos