ArcGIS Online Photo Size

03-22-2016 02:46 AM
RossGarland2
New Contributor II

Morning All,

Our organisation plan on using Arc Collector to conduct inspections on our watercourse grilles / trash screens.  We've set this up using a related table etc and we're really happy with the output so far!

We're keen to use photographs during the inspections.  On average, we have about 40 inspections that are done every two weeks.  Ideally, a photo should be taken prior to any work and after they've been cleared.  Doing some quick calculations, we're going to around 1,000 photos taken throughout the year.

I have a huge concern about the amount of credits these photos will take up - assuming that 10MB consumes 2.4 credits per month.  Is this the case, or am I wrong here?

Is anyone in a similar situation, and how do they manage it?

The only work around I can think about is downloaded and deleting all the data on a monthly basis.

I'd appreciate some thoughts and opinions on this.

Cheers,

Ross

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ross,

You will actually be charged for Data storage for the photos, which is 1.2 credits per 1 GB per month:

ArcGIS Online | Service Credits

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Ross,

Based on what Jake said, it seems like the photo consumption in AGOL is pretty minimal. If you are concerned, you can reduce the resolution of the photos being taken on the Collector device. Or you can always look into another photo hosting service like Flickr.com.

0 Kudos
RossGarland2
New Contributor II

The photos are taken as an attachment to the feature class, hence why I thought it would consume 2.4 credits per 10MB per month.  In this instance, would the photos be charged as data storage, or would that come under the feature service?

I have a contingency plan to use Google Photos, which is likely to be blocked within the near future (due to organisational IT restriction....).  However, it's not quite ideal considering they're not kept as an attachment.

Our preference would be to just store the photographs on AGOL as an attachment to the feature class, but if it's consuming credits at a ridiculous rate, it's not an option.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The photos are taken as an attachment to the feature class, hence why I thought it would consume 2.4 credits per 10MB per month.  In this instance, would the photos be charged as data storage, or would that come under the feature service?

​The photos would be charged as data storage.

RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You can also change the resolution of the photos in Collector. On iOS its under the app settings to pick the default resolution from Small to Extra Large. On Android the camera app used will let you pick the resolution of the photos taken.