Best Practice for consuming an ArcGIS supported map and integrating it into a website to be used with interactive capabilities.

Jump to solution
03-17-2016 02:18 PM
EricBianchi1
New Contributor III

Hello

I am working on a project where I am consuming parking restriction information (in the form of an ArcGIS supported map) from a link. The idea is to have the map interactive and run on a website, so that the user could access it with their phone and filter, search, and click different options. We are working with HTML5, and javascript for the ArcGIS map.

What is the best practice in accomplishing this task. This is may require a long winded answer, but if you have any resources, tutorials, etc. that may have helped you accomplish what I am trying to do then that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Eric,

I really like Robert's answer as it is clean and concise. You mentioned tutorials and such. If you are just getting started with this sort of thing, maybe it would be best to run through Web AppBuilder in order to get a feel for it and see what it can do. There is an easy to follow step-wise process here:

Make your first app—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

Then, after that, you will likely want to expand on what you have created through development. This site runs you through that side of things:

Get started—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers

One other thing, here is some documentation on embedding maps and apps into your website, like you mentioned you wanted to do:

Embed maps and groups—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Eric,

If you are a JavaScript developer then you can look at the many samples from the JS API. If you are not a developer then I would Suggest using the Web AppBuilder as it is made using a responsive design and it affords a non developer the ability to create a custom app with minimal configuration (not development) effort.

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Eric,

I really like Robert's answer as it is clean and concise. You mentioned tutorials and such. If you are just getting started with this sort of thing, maybe it would be best to run through Web AppBuilder in order to get a feel for it and see what it can do. There is an easy to follow step-wise process here:

Make your first app—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

Then, after that, you will likely want to expand on what you have created through development. This site runs you through that side of things:

Get started—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers

One other thing, here is some documentation on embedding maps and apps into your website, like you mentioned you wanted to do:

Embed maps and groups—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS