AGOL WebMap Does not Show Lastest Feature Service Symbology

03-15-2016 02:57 PM
MeleKoneya
Occasional Contributor III

I created an AGOL Webmap using map services and a feature service from our internal ArcGIS Server.     I then used the WebMap in Web App builder to edit the feature service.

Things have been working very well until we added a Value to the Feature Class and then grouped the New Value with an existing Symbol and Value in the MXD and  then overwrote the existing Map Service/Feature Service.

This is the Original Value and Label in the Feature Service.

These are the newly added Values and Labels in the Feature Service that were grouped with the above.

I can see the Features with the new Value in the Feature Service when I open it with ArcGIS.Com from the Feature Service page,

but when I look at it in the existing AGOL webmap the symbols for the newly grouped values do not show up.  

I did label the features and know that they are in the WebMap because I can click on them and get the popup,  but there is no symbol on the map.

Is there a way to refresh my WebMap to show the new Values or is there something I am missing?

Thanks for any assistance.    I am perplexed

Mele

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MeleKoneya

I think I see the problem.   The WebMap Json is not updated when the Feature Service is updated.    I was able to use

ArcGIS Online Assistant to see the definition of my WebMap.   With ArcGIS Online Assistant  I was able to see that the new Values did not have a symbol in the AGOL webmap.  One solution would be to add the Feature Service again to update the webmap but since this webmap is in production in a Web App Builder application,  I am very reluctant to do that as the Feature Service ID may change and the Web App Builder would have to be updated.   The ArcGIS Online Assistant  also gives a chance to edit the webmap,  but again I would not want to do this to a production webmap. 

If there is a better way please let me know.

Mele

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Mele,

Web maps are not automatically updated when the underlying data (Feature Services) are updated. I think that readding your layer to the web map will work to update your map. Did you change the order of features in your feature service or can you explain further about your concern regarding the feature service ID affecting your web app?

Feel free to share your web map and layer or contact Support Services to see if updating your web map would have an effect on your web app.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
MeleKoneya

Kelly,

Thanks for the response.

I do believe that your suggestion of re-adding the feature layer from the feature service would resolve the display the issue and we may pursue that eventually in our development environment.  

My concern with the service ID had to do with the Batch Attribute Editor widget that we are using.    I am using the widget that was available before it was a part of the core Web App Builder widgets.    Rather than using the Feature Service URL,  it looks like it uses the layer ID from the webmap,   so I would have to update that within the Batch Attribute Editor widget as well.

Because we have a version of this application that  is in production,   I don't want to make too many changes to widgets.    I hope that the Batch Attribute Editor widget is the only one affected,  but I am not completely sure of that.       

Do you know if there are plans to change the behavior of the webmap when the underlying services change?

Thanks again

Mele

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Mele,

There aren't any plans to change this behaviour in the upcoming release. Please submit this idea on the ideas site: Esri Arcgis Ideas | Ideas Submission Portal . The ideas site is a great forum to provide and collect feedback about features that you would like to see added to the product. It also provides the opportunity for other users to promote and discuss the idea.

Cheers,

Kelly

0 Kudos