How to filter ArcGIS Online resources by file/data type?

Jump to solution
03-15-2016 01:42 AM
YovavZohar1
Occasional Contributor III

Is there a way to filter the ArcGIS Online resources searches (arcgis.com in browser), directly, by certain file/data type?

The built in filters are more generic and when I'm searching for specific data, such as ArcGIS Pro Project Template or Layer Packages, I can't find any direct filter for that. This means that you have to go over a lot of irrelevant search results before you find what you want - even if you enter the data type to the search string.

Thanks in advance,

Yovav Z.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

You can search for specific item types by using the type parameter to define the type of content.

Example:

If you are looking for a project template about vehicle check points, enter: Vehicle type:Project Template into the search box. Ensure that you check the Show ArcGIS Desktop Content check box and you will see the returned search with the specified content.

For more information about search capabilities, see the following documentation:

Search:

http://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/search.htm

Item Types:

What can you add to ArcGIS Online?—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Cheers,

Kelly

View solution in original post

8 Replies
VenusScott

Have you tried using the AGOL assistant? This might be useful. We don't store data/files on AGOL so I've only searched for maps and apps...

ArcGIS Online Assistant

0 Kudos
YovavZohar1

Yap, no solution here.

I think it should be an enhancement needed in the UI"

Adding advanced filter - by File/Data Type

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

You can search for specific item types by using the type parameter to define the type of content.

Example:

If you are looking for a project template about vehicle check points, enter: Vehicle type:Project Template into the search box. Ensure that you check the Show ArcGIS Desktop Content check box and you will see the returned search with the specified content.

For more information about search capabilities, see the following documentation:

Search:

http://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/search.htm

Item Types:

What can you add to ArcGIS Online?—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Cheers,

Kelly

YovavZohar1

Great - That does the trick

Thanks Kelly.

I hope that all those advanced search flags will be combined into an Advanced Search button in the UI - it'll make life easier for less uptodate users like me

0 Kudos
VenusScott

OK, how about this one. I'm requesting funding for the Pro version, but the free one might be what can assist you?

Admin Tools New - Geo Jobe

YovavZohar1

Thanks Venus,

Are the Admin Tools work on the organizational item?

I couldn't find Items outside of my organizational account.

Other thing is that the Item Type list is missing some types (probably needs update according to the AGOL supported Item Type list here).

Anyways, Kelly Gerrow's answer made the trick.

0 Kudos
NeillJobe
Occasional Contributor II

Yes, Admin Tools for ArcGIS Online only works with content that you are an Administrator of (Your organization). You cannot find and administer items owned by others outside of your organization.

Also, new item types are being added daily as they become available through the API.

Thanks,

YovavZohar1

Thanks Neill

0 Kudos