strange column GDB_GEOMATTR_DATA

Jump to solution
03-15-2016 09:57 AM
DuarteCarreira
Occasional Contributor II

Does anyone know what this field is why it's created?

I am finding several feature classes with this field, in a postgresql gdb, in postgis format. The feature classes were created with arcgis, by copying feature classes in st_geometry format and selecting pg_geometry dbtune keyword.

Can't find any docs referring it...

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KenGalliher1
Esri Contributor

The purpose of this column is to handle complex geometries such as curves.  Since a feature class can have only one shape column, the storage of circular geometries must be stored separately and then joined to the feature class when viewed in ArcGIS.  I can't seem to find this documented for Postgres but concept is similar for Oracle's SDO geometry and SQL Server Geometry spatial types. 

SDO_Geometry:

--------------------

"Convert noncircular arcs (such as cubic spline or Bézier) to straight-edged linestrings. When the feature class is registered with the CAD entity mask (c), also store the curved representation in SE_ANNO_CAD_DATA."  <--- this is the same concept as the GDB_GEOMATTR_DATA column

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//002n0000006t000000#ESRI_SECTION1_E668383C...

--------------------

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KenGalliher1
Esri Contributor

The purpose of this column is to handle complex geometries such as curves.  Since a feature class can have only one shape column, the storage of circular geometries must be stored separately and then joined to the feature class when viewed in ArcGIS.  I can't seem to find this documented for Postgres but concept is similar for Oracle's SDO geometry and SQL Server Geometry spatial types. 

SDO_Geometry:

--------------------

"Convert noncircular arcs (such as cubic spline or Bézier) to straight-edged linestrings. When the feature class is registered with the CAD entity mask (c), also store the curved representation in SE_ANNO_CAD_DATA."  <--- this is the same concept as the GDB_GEOMATTR_DATA column

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//002n0000006t000000#ESRI_SECTION1_E668383C...

--------------------

DuarteCarreira
Occasional Contributor II

Sorry for the delay...

Thanks for your answer. It seems you're correct.

I'll have to check what workflow creates this column. Somehow I was convinced that just converting between st_geometry and pg_geometry would still support curves in the shape column... seems not.

0 Kudos