Running Survey123 on Surface Pro2 (windows 8) and am unable to connect to R1 Receiver

03-14-2016 12:44 PM
Mary_AnnSweeney
New Contributor

Unable to connect Survey123  to Trimble R1 receiver on a Surfrace Pro2 (windows 8). Survey 123 is functioning and the R1 receiver (GNSS Status Utility software) is functioning but I am unable to get the two programs to interact. The Surface Pro 2 does not have an internal GPS, is this the problem?   I have had success using Survey 123 on a mobile device attached to the R1 receiver.   However need to have it work on the Suface Pro.  Fieldwork will be outside of any cellular network. My R1 distributor was unable to solve the issue. Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
CliffHoeffner1
New Contributor II

Hi Mary,

I'm not familiar with Survey123, but I am with Trimble R1.

With the Surface Pro running Windows 8 Desktop , it doesn't use locations services to pass the GPS information from the Trimble R1 into Survey123 like when you use a smart phone or tablet.  When you Bluetooth the R1 to a Windows device, like the Surface Pro, a series of COM Ports will be created (incoming and outgoing).  Survey123 (When used on a Windows desktop based device) would need to have settings to define a COM Port for an external GPS receiver.  Since Collector doesn't have this (as of current release) I would be surprised if Survey123 does, but I would contact the ESRI folks to confirm.

0 Kudos