ArcGIS crashes when launched...please help!

03-13-2016 09:27 AM
MattBrowder
New Contributor II

ArcGIS 10.4 is crashing when I try to open it. I am running Windows 10. I have had no problems with ArcGIS until a few days ago and now it crashes whenever I try to launch it. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks.

Matt

Tags (3)
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

On the space you have selected, there are many threads, can you facilitate an answer and provide some idea what you have tried and what are the specifications of you system...otherwise, people will just be going over the same old stuff again, without knowing what avenues you have exhausted in researching GeoNet for a solution.

0 Kudos
MattBrowder
New Contributor II

By the way...here are the steps I have taken to fix the problem. None of these has worked.

1.      I edited the registry per the ESRI support department from           HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Python\PythonCore\2.7 to           HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Python\PythonCore\2.7-32

2.      I uninstalled ArcGIS 10.4 completely and reinstalled it.

As I said...neither of these worked.

When I attempt to open ArcGIS it starts to open as seen below...

Then I get the following:

Any assistance would be great.

Thanks.

Matt

0 Kudos
MattBrowder
New Contributor II

Check what I just posted and let me know what you think.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

That narrows the problem down to something that happened after you installed 10.4 and it worked for a few weeks.  So

• did you install anything between then and now... this would include second party tools
  • ditto for uninstalling anything
  • was there a windows update that was installed or not installed before the event
  • did you remove your application profile? (Curtis Price has provided documentation on this site)
  • was there any project or issue with a project that you were working on the day before the crashes?

So if it worked and worked for several weeks, then it is something that happened during the history between installation and crash. 

0 Kudos
MattBrowder
New Contributor II

Makes sense. Here are two screen shots of all of the Windows updates that installed on 3/8/2016. How am I supposed to figure out which one caused the problem? There are two screenshots.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Matt

0 Kudos
MattBrowder
New Contributor II

Also found a security update. See screenshot.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you gone through the steps listed in
Fixing ArcMap crashes

Think Location
0 Kudos
MargaretMaher
Esri Contributor

Matt,  check to see if you have an update for Python 2.7.11 that was pushed out last December.  This was logged as BUG-000092928 in our system, Python has been notified and they have logged Issue 25824: 32-bit 2.7.11 installer creates registry keys that are incompatible with the installed ...  with their highest severity.  The workaround is to uninstall this update.  Please try this and let us know if this resolves your issue.  Margaret Maher, Esri Support

0 Kudos
MattBrowder
New Contributor II

That wasn't it. We had to create all new registry entries in the system and rename a bunch of folders. We eventually fixed it after a few weeks.

Matthew D. Browder

Browder Group Real Estate, LLC

1440 South Tryon Street

Suite 104

Charlotte, NC 28203

o (704) 335-8292

c (704) 361-3139

matt@browdergroup.com<mailto:matt@browdergroup.com>

0 Kudos