ArcMAP mxd Report

Jump to solution
03-09-2016 12:00 PM
DaveTenney
Occasional Contributor III

all,

I was just curious if there is a feature that would allow arcmap to export all the information of a saved mxd to could be used create a report of all the layers and their details?

I would love to create a nice report of the following information:

1) layer name

a) Symbology

b) Data Type

c) Feature Class

d) Geometry Type

e) Labeling

f) Scale Range

g) Coordinate System

I think this would be really nice to hand to a client that really doesn't know how to dig deep into the gis to see this info. It would be a great way to show them the details upfront.

thanks

Dave

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor
6 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This could be accomplished, especially if you don't require a lot of detail, using Python scripting (arcpy.mapping).

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Could you essentially create a web map of the GIS data and deliver the link to the client? That way they can see what the symbology is supposed to mean and some other items (in the legend), and they could maybe see scale ranges and the feature class names.

You could also create an application from this web map to simplify it further. But, this may not be the approach you are looking for.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You might want to have a look at Rebecca Strauch, GISP​ product here Python addin for data inventory and “broken-link” repair.  it is designed for many purposes if I am not mistaken.

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor
AbhishekRathi1
Occasional Contributor

Dear Dave,

Kindly go through below mentioned links and hopefully it will solve your purpose.

Creating a report—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Working with Reports in ArcMap, Part I-Getting Started | ArcGIS Blog 

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Dave Tenney​, what have you tried thus far and what worked best for you?  If someone's comment worked better than everyone else's, please mark it correct to close out this discussion.

0 Kudos