Pie chart symbols not showing in exported pdf map

03-09-2016 11:40 AM
PeteKnutson
New Contributor II

I have been unable to export, (using ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.1) a map showing pie charts.  When exporting to pdf, the pie chart symbols are not showing.  It's a small page size map with less than 10 pie chart symbols created from a point feature class and 7 numeric fields. Can this be done? Has anyone else experienced this and determined why it's happening?

11 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Can you give a little more details of what you are doing and where you are finding troubles?

Check out this website that explains how to get pie charts in ArcMap

Using pie charts—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
PeteKnutson
New Contributor II

I know how to create pie chart symbols and export maps to pdf, but when I do try this, the pie chart symbols are not showing in the exported pdf map.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

What shows up in their place? Have you tried other file types for exporting to see if they work (out of curiosity)?

0 Kudos
PeteKnutson
New Contributor II

Every element on the map shows up except pie charts when exporting to pdf or jpg. All elements show up on maps exported to tiff and png. We find printing large format maps works best in pdf with our plotter. I thought others using 10.3.1 might have experienced the same problem.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Pete, that is unfortunate that the export works one way and not another. I have not seen this behavior but I also have not exported pie charts before. Have you tried messing around with the export settings for PDF in order to 'force' it to behave correctly?

0 Kudos
PeteKnutson
New Contributor II

Yes and tried from other computer.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I am not sure at this point.

I found this article that discusses a few options:

17783 - Diagnose an ArcMap printing or exporting problem

One thing it says is to export to EMF to see if you are seeing things properly.

If you are seeing things properly, then maybe it is the PDF software that is not displaying the graphics properly. Have you tried updating your PDF software to the latest version? Are you running an older version of Adobe PDF software?

The main thing it suggests is to perform the export task in ArcGIS Pro. If that is an option for you, it may be your best bet.

0 Kudos
CoreyAnco1
New Contributor II

What did you end up doing Pete? I'm having the same issue. Never had the problem prior to the 10.3 upgrade though.

In this scenario, I am trying to export 5 shapefile layers: 3 polygons, a polyline, and a pointfile (via pie charts). Not a very complex export. ArcMap exports all layers completely except the pie charts. It only exports pie charts with a single value, or maximum of 2 values. Any points containing >3 values will not display in the exported map. This was the case for all attempted export formats: pdf, emf, jpeg, png, etc...

Never needed an additional upgrade to Pro to perform this task prior to the 10.3 upgrade. Seems like a goofy glitch somewhere in the feature to graphic translation process.

Anyone encounter this since and find a way around?

Thanks,

Corey

*Edit:

Converting features to graphics in the map facilitates export, but that's not how I want the map to export. Reasoning being, I want country and shapefile outlines to display on top of pie charts, since some are rather large and cross border/boundaries which are paramount for the viewer to be able to see. So it is a workaround but insufficient.

0 Kudos
GarretDuffy
Occasional Contributor

I am also having this issue, even exporting to PNG and TIFF.  However, if I drop the dpi to 96, the resulting export looks like it should albeit with poor resolution.  As soon as I increase the dpi, the pie charts start dropping out and don't render.

G

0 Kudos