Using the point density tool causes a blank area on the map.

Jump to solution
03-07-2016 10:04 AM
JamesMartin6
New Contributor

Hi,

When I use the point density tool in Arc, it creates this large blank area under the points used. No matter what extent I zoom in or out to it maintains this same problem.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It is behaving as expected... the help file even shows an image Point Density—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop and there is a description of how the tool works to produce its output How Point Density works—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

From looking at the image, it looks like it is acting correctly by making darker areas under the points (thus indicating higher density) and lighter areas in between the points (low density). Can you show a zoomed in screen shot where there are blank areas?

Also, it would help to move this thread to a place like GIS​ or Managing Data​ since the GeoNet Help is for help with the GeoNet.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

moved to Spatial Analyst

0 Kudos
JamesMartin6
New Contributor

Thanks, I'm not terribly familiar with this.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It is behaving as expected... the help file even shows an image Point Density—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop and there is a description of how the tool works to produce its output How Point Density works—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

JamesMartin6
New Contributor

I just figured out what was confusing me. I'm not terribly familiar with Arc, and what was happeneing was the 0 value was creating a non-transparent color. When I set 0 to be transparent it fixed it.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos