Share Story Map with only a few non-Esri users

03-03-2016 01:32 PM
deleted-user-t80PGWgEXLgV
New Contributor

Hey all,

I've created a Story Map that I'd like to share with a few individuals (township officials, developers, etc.). They don't use GIS and do not have an ArcGIS Online account. It is my understanding that I only have the options to share within my organization, share within a group, or share with the public. However, some of the data in the Story Map is sensitive material and should not be shared with the public. How can I allow these few individuals, and not the entire world, to view my application?

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

There was an update recently made to ArcGIS Online where users can now log in via their Facebook or Google+ accounts. This may make it easier for people to see maps. What's new—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Also, if your data is shared via a Map Service through ArcGIS for Server, I believe you can secure that one service and put a password on it. Some info here: ArcGIS Server web services—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

I haven't done this myself so I am not exactly sure how to do this. But, with this secure service, anyone with the password can view the map and they do not need an esri account.

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Michele,

In order to share the Story Map with a specific users, the users viewing the Story Map will need to have ArcGIS Online Organization accounts and will need to be members of the organization or group, that the story map is shared with.

This documentation helps to understand some sharing scenarios:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/share-maps/share-items.htm

If you are using an ArcGIS Server service, you may be able to look into the possibility of setting security on your service as suggested above.

-Kelly