Can I create a domain for a field using a cascading select?

02-28-2016 04:50 PM
ChristineDartiguenave
Esri Contributor

I am using a cascading select to restrict the list of choices for the user and it works great in the survey form. However when I go to ArcGIS Online to edit the data it looks like there is no domain associated to the field so I can enter any text in the field. Is there a way when publishing to request the creation of a domain built on all the unique values in the cascading select choice list?

7 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi,

not until too long ago we created domains for cascading selects, but we received feedback indicating that this did not make sense. Essentially, we had people saying that the domain in apps other than Survey123 would not behave as expected, because it would show more choices than it should. The other input we got is that cascading selects are often used with very large lists of choices (we have seen lists of up to 41 thousand choices being used in a cascading select).  When the feature service was loaded into ArcGIS, these domains did not make the apps happy. Finally, creating domains on cascading selects caused some issues to Portal for ArcGIS users, so we ended up not creating domains for cascading selects.

To keep the user experience simple, we decided not to expose options to let you control this setting, although it is something that we can consider if you think that in your case it is necessary to create a domain.

ismael

ChristineDartiguenave
Esri Contributor

Ismael,

It would make sense in my case because I am dealing with a few hundred values only and having a domain helps ensure the data integrity when the user edits/qcs the layer.

So having the option to create a domain would be great in my case.

Christine

JamesWilson2
New Contributor III

Is there any way to create cascading selects in ArcGIS online/ArcGIS Pro without creating domains?

I have a feature class that I want to editing a web app and would love cascading selects as used in Survey123.

I want to steer clear of subtypes and domains as they do not work well in ArcGIS Online - they are hard to update (we have monthly domain updates), hard to display and do not translate well between desktop and online when editing web services. 

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi James,

Yes, it is possible to not create a domain when publishing a survey.  Click on the 'Options' button when publishing through Survey123 Connect.

0 Kudos
JamesWilson2
New Contributor III

GDay Mate,

I am trying to create this in Pro or AGOL. I have users entering geometry (points, line, polys) and attributes - I would like them to have cascading selects as they enter the attributes in the popup. I have tried using subtypes and domains, but AGOL doesn't handle them well, so am looking to the survey123 model for a solution. I have found that if I open S123 feature classes in AGOL I don't get the cascading selects. Is there any way to enable this?

Cheers

James

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi James,

Currently, there isn't a similar capability in the geodatabase that would allow other programs to have the equivelant functionality.

MarioSchedler
New Contributor II

Good morning, is there already a solution for cascading domains in ArcGIS Pro e.g. version 3?

0 Kudos