Looking for a part time GIS job with no GIS work experience.

02-25-2016 07:41 PM
MarkGrossman
New Contributor

First time posting on GEOnet. Let me know if this is not the right place to post...I am looking for a part time GIS job with no GIS work experience. I am currently in Community College to get A.S. degree in GIS. I am currently in GIS 201 course. I was wondering if any of you members can assist me on finding a part time GIS job with gis education of only up to gis 201. I know about GIS Internship program but they all require me to submit a resume and I have not had any job for 3 years since I have been cooking off and on with various restaurants and fast food joints. To make the long story short, how do I get my feet wet into the beginning of GIS career with no gis work experience and just GIS education up to GIS 201. Thank you for reading.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

This is a pretty good place to start :

The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse

0 Kudos
MarkGrossman
New Contributor

Thank you. Hopefully I will find something that does not require entry level gis skills since I am still in school. I just need a foot in the door. Hopefully someone out there will take me in even I had been cooking odd jobs for the last 3 years. It would be great to showcase my portifolio of my prjoects and hmw I have done in classes. 

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Mark, I know you mentioned internships. I think that those are a great place to start. I got my "start" doing an internship (or two) for the Student Conservation Association​. This really helped me get my foot in the door and allowed me to gain real-world experience when I had none.

I would also suggest inquiring at your local city government office (or county or similar government agency). Sometimes they have opportunities for interns with little-to-no-experience. Sometimes, if you're desperate enough and they have no money, they would likely welcome some 'free' work in order to do some grunt tasks that they do not have time for. This would give you great experience to get your feet wet in the world of public sector GIS.

There are some places online and otherwise where you can do some free GIS work in order to get more experience in it. There are some examples listed here:

Where to get started with volunteer GIS work? : gis 

Honestly, who cares if your resume has a big blank spot. If you're looking for entry level stuff or a career change, this is likely to be expected.

Good luck with your search and welcome to the GeoNet!

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

To expand on what Adrian Welsh mentioned, there are many organizations that seek help with GIS work and are looking for help, even from folks with little background.  There's tons of "simpler" GIS tasks that need to be done, like digitizing, that organizations need and are willing to bring in someone and train.

Many of these are government and non-profit organizations.  And in terms of timing, now is a good time to look for these types of jobs, as many organizations staff up for the summer.  For example, many government organizations have internships available in the summer that open up for application now (and some are only open to students currently attending college).  And it is not just government - private firms that deal with field studies often need extra help in the summer months to help in study setup and then work with the data as it rolls in from the field crews.

Some specific resources:

If you are a member of the Society of Conservation GIS, they have a job board that often has internships.

Society for Conservation GIS

Also, of course, if you want to go all-out, there is this:

Student Opps Common Questions - ESRI Internships (paid!)

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

One stop shopping:

https://www.gislounge.com/job-listing-sites-in-gis/

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

You haven't mention where are you from  or do you have any prefer location ?

0 Kudos
MarkGrossman
New Contributor

Thanks to everyone and they were extremely helpful ! Robert, I am from Washington DC area. I would not mind working in dc, va, and md. I have to say I would love to work at NGA (30 mins away) but they require security clearance for any GIS job. I will keep an eye on those listing posted on clearinghouse and one shop shopping.

0 Kudos
MarkGrossman
New Contributor

I emailed to Loundon County GIS department to see if they need any extra help or if any of the staff there has any time to  provide mentor-ship. Wish me luck! ( i presently live in Sterling which is in Loundon County)

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Why not keep networking with NGA and if you are still interesting to work for them you just have to keep in touch with them and learn about them. I have a friend that works there and told me they are always keep hiring . What he called that "Mass hiring" once a while so I thought I would you let you know.

0 Kudos