Map Journal Template Question

Jump to solution
02-25-2016 08:55 AM
ChrisHolmes
Occasional Contributor III

Good day everyone,

We have an application using the Map Journal template. It looks like this initially:

As you scroll down though the journal the map changes as you get to each Ward.

Within each ward there are 4 different graphs showing number of applications/permits by community within the ward (Land Use Applications; Subdivision Applications; Development Permits; Building Permits). When you click the title (i.e. "Land Use Applications (LOC)" in the above picture, the map will change to display the map showing the locations of the selected application / permit):

What I would like to do is have the map display change on it's own so that when the journal scrolls to where the graph is displayed, that the map display would just change to show that data and not require the user to click the header (Land Use Applications (LOC)). As is I don't think it's intuitive enough for them to realize that they need to click the title to have the display change.

If this is doable can it be done without having to download the template and change code? If it can only be done by downloading the template, then it could no longer be hosted on ArcGIS Online, am I correct in that?

Thanks,

Chris

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

You can of course author your Story Map Journal so that each section in your journal displays a different map or different extent and/or set of layers from a particular map. Why not just add extra sections into your journal. Or simply use main stage actions (i.e. the links you can author in your journal text that cause the map to change (zoom/pan/layers on or off/popups appear. I'm not sure if you could customize the Story Map Journal so that the map changes as the users scroll down through a section, but that doesn't seem like it would be a good user experience because it wouldn't be obvious to the user why the map is changing. So it's really much better to just add additional sections into the Journal or use main stage actions. You can also make your main stage actions look like buttons which may work for what you want to do: (see https://developerscorner.storymaps.arcgis.com/create-buttons-for-main-stage-actions-using-the-style-...  ).

Rupert

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ChrisHolmes
Occasional Contributor III

Wondering if there is a more appropriate space/place where I should post this? Am I able to post a thread to more than one space/place?

Thanks

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I am not fully sure, but I am going to guess that this is something not provided from the out-of-the-box story map and will require custom programming.

However, if you do change the code and customize it, you can still upload it to your ArcGIS Online account and host it as one of your story maps, so you do not need to worry there. From your AGOL account in My Content, you just go to Add Item from web and add it there.

You can't really add this discussion to other 'places' but you can tag them in your post to get more visibility by using the @ sign. I would suggest Story Maps​ and ArcGIS Online​. And maybe even in Developers​.

Also, it may be a good idea to bump this thread again on Monday to get it back to the top of 'recent activity'.

RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

You can of course author your Story Map Journal so that each section in your journal displays a different map or different extent and/or set of layers from a particular map. Why not just add extra sections into your journal. Or simply use main stage actions (i.e. the links you can author in your journal text that cause the map to change (zoom/pan/layers on or off/popups appear. I'm not sure if you could customize the Story Map Journal so that the map changes as the users scroll down through a section, but that doesn't seem like it would be a good user experience because it wouldn't be obvious to the user why the map is changing. So it's really much better to just add additional sections into the Journal or use main stage actions. You can also make your main stage actions look like buttons which may work for what you want to do: (see https://developerscorner.storymaps.arcgis.com/create-buttons-for-main-stage-actions-using-the-style-...  ).

Rupert