Official vs walkable hotels?

02-24-2016 02:47 PM
Labels (1)
JoeBryant2
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

I may be able to attend the UC for the first time this year, budget permitting. I am putting together a cost proposal right now and am deciding between one of the official hotels for the conference versus a cheaper hotel that is within walking distance of the convention center and other stuff to do at night.

Not having attended before, I wonder how important staying at the official hotel is? I see that it's about 6 miles away from the Convention Center, so not what I would consider walkable. But I imagine shuttle service is included in the hotel registration, or possibly even with just the Conference registration?

I will be flying into San Diego, and I will not be renting a car.

My spouse has the summer off and may also tag along - I'd like her not to be stranded out in the 'burbs without a car. So I'm leaning towards a cheaper hotel near the Convention Center. This would also give us more options at night.

Are there events at the official hotel I will be missing out on? Does shuttle service/walkability to other stuff near the official hotel make my concerns mute?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Six miles---hotel circle? Oh, I see, yes aka Mission Valley There's a decent trolley service that'll get you around some parts of San Diego. If it is hotel circle, you could use stop Fashion Valley stop.

I don't know about shuttle service. I expect not (this is not an official Esri statement), and that you would be expected to take the trolley.

Years and years ago, I stayed at La Pensione, a minimal hotel (starting around $150 during conference week) in Little Italy. It's walkable to the convention center or just a few stops on the trolley.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

+1 for hotel circle being a bit cheaper.  I've stayed at the Doubletree out there (still pricey), which is nice because the trolley station is right across the street (vs a short hike for hotels near the Fashion Mall stop).  If you don't want to grab a cab/shuttle to there, you can always get dropped off at the train depot or an trolley stop and rid out that way.  I've always found the trolleys to be clean and safe.

In town, there is a Motel 6 (I think) on Grape St, near the airport, as well as a few others.  Much cheaper than UC official hotels and a short walk or quick trolley.  A few of the places do offer breakfast, but I never seem to find those.

Anything in the convention center, Gaslamp district, Seaport Village, etc is pretty easy and safe to walk.  Lots to do, and there is a ferry that goes to the island across the bay for even more exploring.

There is something nice about the convenience of staying near the convention center, since there are meetups and other activities that run past dark.....but it all depends on what your schedule is.  There are thread on geonet from past years on "hints" for first time attendees....I recommend checking them out.

Have fun!

0 Kudos
ChristineSeidl
New Contributor

I've stayed at non-conference hotels in Little Italy and the Gaslamp district that is very walkable and also a few stops on the trolley. Also, it is nice is to take the trolley to "old town" and you will have more options to stay there as well. I would stay in any hotel close to trolley stops since you are walking all day at the UC and more walking at night seems to get a bit much! My husband also came one year and had loads to do on his own along the seaside and we also went Esri's event at Bilboa Park - the site of museums, music and eateries.  Enjoy the conference and San Diego!