AnsweredAssumed Answered

Yet another "How many service instances?" thread....

Question asked by tpcolson on Feb 24, 2016
Latest reply on Mar 16, 2016 by myerington50

I know this gets asked a lot, but here it is in different context: If the number of CPU cores and RAM was not a limiting factor, how many service instances can a single ArcGIS Server push?

I have a single-server site, with a bottomless supply of cores and bytes, with 50-ish map/feature services, and 10-ish cached image services. I  push 2 minimum, 10 max instances on each service. There is no hard number I've found yet, but when I start pushing some of the more popular services to 5 min, 10 max, server stability fails and often data store corruption occurs.

I've heard 250-500 is the max number of service instances ArcGIS Server will handle. Does this call for adding GIS Server nodes to a cluster? Which is a bad idea. Does ArcGIS on RH Linux push more service instances? The IT guys are telling me that threads are running out of control on this server.

I'm needing to spool up more minimum instances, as the amount of time it takes for a new instance to spool up when min instances is exceeded causes the client to time out. And frankly, if I can call upon limitless CPU cores, then dang it, I should be able to push as many instances as I want.

Outcomes