Mosaic Dataset: Rules for multiple dates

Jump to solution
02-23-2016 09:59 AM
Labels (1)
GuthierryAlmeida
New Contributor II

I used this tutorial to create mosaics with multiple dates. I created 4 mosaics: LandSat8_2014, LandSat8_2015,

LandSat8_2016 and LandSat8 (main mosaic).

LandSat8_2014

LandSat8_2015

LandSat8_2016

LandSat8 (LandSat8_2014 + LandSat8_2015 + LandSat8_2016)

What is the rule to display the images in the main mosaic?

The default display is the mosaic of the year 2015, but I would like to see the most recent year, what should I do?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Look at help for "Mosaic Method" here

Changing the mosaic method used when viewing the mosaic dataset—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

There are many different ways to configure which image appears on top as you pan around a mosaic containing overlapping images.  If you set Mosaic Method to "By Attribute" and then use the attribute of your date field, the OLDEST date will appear on top, so you can deselect the checkbox for "Order Ascending" to get newest date on top. 

There are some pitfalls in the advice you have been given in this tutorial - e.g. it says "Caution: This design is optimal when you have less than eight rows added to your master mosaic dataset." but unfortunately does not tell you the reasons for this caution, or what alternatives you have. 

The advice regarding use of an image service in place of overviews is also incomplete.

In all except very limited scenarios, I recommend against the configuration described here, but to keep this message brief I won't expand on details.  If you need further advice for a master multi-year mosaic comprised of other mosaics, please see this link Image Management

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Look at help for "Mosaic Method" here

Changing the mosaic method used when viewing the mosaic dataset—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

There are many different ways to configure which image appears on top as you pan around a mosaic containing overlapping images.  If you set Mosaic Method to "By Attribute" and then use the attribute of your date field, the OLDEST date will appear on top, so you can deselect the checkbox for "Order Ascending" to get newest date on top. 

There are some pitfalls in the advice you have been given in this tutorial - e.g. it says "Caution: This design is optimal when you have less than eight rows added to your master mosaic dataset." but unfortunately does not tell you the reasons for this caution, or what alternatives you have. 

The advice regarding use of an image service in place of overviews is also incomplete.

In all except very limited scenarios, I recommend against the configuration described here, but to keep this message brief I won't expand on details.  If you need further advice for a master multi-year mosaic comprised of other mosaics, please see this link Image Management

0 Kudos