Unable to burn stream into DEM (in both ArcHydro and HEC-GeoHMS)

02-22-2016 08:58 AM
Labels (1)
KaylaRanney
New Contributor

When using the DEM Reconditioning tool with both ArcHydro and HEC-GeoHMS, I am unable to get the stream to burn into the DEM.  I have 1x1 degree tiles from USGS that I merged together and projected.  My stream data is a shapefile from NHD that I projected to the same projection as the DEM.  I have made sure my extents are changed to include the full extent of the DEM.  I also have tried various tests, including 1) not projecting my files (leaving them in decimal degrees) and 2) only using one USGS to tile (to remove the merging step), but none of these tests have produced a DEM with the stream burnt in.  Does anyone have any ideas on why DEM Reconditioning is not working for me?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The data should be projected.  When converting the layer to use for the burn in, make sure the extents, cell size and snap raster are all the same.  THEN... your burn area will have a value, and the non-burn area will be nodata...this has to be reclassified to zero.  You can then proceed with a

DEM - burngrid  (assuming the burn areas are positive) or DEM + burngrid if they are negative.

0 Kudos