How do I add a single xy point in arcgis pro?

02-20-2016 04:36 PM
BillNewman
New Contributor

How do I manually specify a single XY point in ArcGIS pro?  This should be one of the simplest things to do, and there's lots about how to do this in the non-"pro" versions.  In fact, I'm having alot of trouble  getting quick examples for this tool.   Everything I find references the older esri tools...as a QGIS (motif ui) person, should I just give up and start with the older stuff?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BillNewman
New Contributor

To clarify...I  want to specify it id decimal degrees, not just with the mouse cursor.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The ArcMap and the Pro documentation are now mingled.  You can begin on this page

Documentation | ArcGIS for Desktop

On the right is the Pro side...If you do a search on a tool or topic, you are given the option on the left to specify the version of ArcMap (ie 10.3.x or 10.4) and the version of Pro (currently only 1.1)  In many cases if you have a quasi idea how to do it in

arcMap, then you may find similar topics in Pro.  There is little point in web searching it is too early, either this site or gis.stackexchange may contain links.

Now you specify you want to add a single point... as a graphic? as a point in a feature class? from a table? to just locate yourself somewhere?  The task is clear in your mind, but I can only think of numerous other possibilities, so any help would be useful.

BillNewman
New Contributor

Thanks for the web pointer and letting me know that there's not much out there (yet) on arcgis pro.  I guess I'm not just getting really stupid.  It may be better to just go to the older tools.

I want to add a point in a feature class around which I will do a buffer-circle (qgis parliance).  I can see how to add a circle feature etc...but only using the cursor.  I want 6 fractional digits on my gps specification, I was hoping to see a popup that just lets me enter it...but the best that I can figure so far is to put it in a table to be read in. 

0 Kudos
AjitkumarBabar
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Bill,

In ArcGIS Pro during editing session the points can be mapped by giving inputs through absolute xy and even z can be provided and this can be done by right clicking on the map.

Is that you what?

BillNewman
New Contributor

Okay, I can create a point feature by placing it with the cursor in the editable layer.  Then modify vertices lets me open properties of that feature, including the location.  It is given in X,Y.  Is there any way to get that changed to a GPS (wgs84) specification?  Even nicer would be to have the cursor location at the bottom read out to 6 places to the right of the decimal point - default seems to be 2 places, and I cannot figure out how to change that...the best I've been able to do is modify the properties of the project, which has no effect on that readout. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

XY is simply the units of your data, which would be unprojected...aka decimal degrees, unless you set the projection of the data frame to something else. X is longitude and Y is latitude.  Did you actually try to enter 2 values?  Did they truncate?  Is there not any other options on the entry dialog that would allow you to change things or its presentation?

See Create point and multipoint features—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

BillNewman
New Contributor

I've given up on ArcGIS pro.  Arcmap 10.4 seems to be more my speed...I'll be posting questions about this next!

0 Kudos