Can you add the Playlist-style filter to other story map templates or Web App Builder?

Jump to solution
02-19-2016 10:03 AM
JesseBakker
New Contributor

Is there a way to add a filter tool similar to the one in the Playlist Story Map (like the one here: http://powaygis.poway.org/websites/CityOfPowayAffordableHousing/) with a simple check box for unique values on a field, to another type of story map or the Web App builder? The Playlist style filter is easier for end users to interact with than the Query widget in the Web App Builder, which adds an operational layer for the query instead of dropping non-queried features from the layer. I would like to make a map series app with each tab showing school performance by grade division (elementary, middle, high school) with the functionality to query by school type (public, private, charter) and performance in each tab. The Playlist filter tool seems like a great solution for that, but I don't know how to build it into a Web App Builder to drop into the Map Series app. One option is to customize the filters into the Filter story map template, but I'd like it to be more integrated into the Web App Builder layout and maintain the simplicity of the Playlist style filter tool.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Sorry, the filter is built into the core of the playlist app and can’t be easily extracted out and put in another app. The playlist does have a way to change the renderer so you can use your own point symbols if you use the developer version.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

If you want to use the map series, the easies way to do this would be to just embed the playlist app inside the map series: https://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2015/04/21/embed-story-map-in-story-map/.

0 Kudos
JesseBakker
New Contributor

Right, I was planning on embedding either the Filter App or a Web App Builder app into the map series, but I don't want to display the points like they are in the playlist app (or have the list of points/pictures on the side). The filter tool in the playlist is cleaner than in the other apps and I was hoping to drop it into another app where I can symbolize things more precisely.

0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Sorry, the filter is built into the core of the playlist app and can’t be easily extracted out and put in another app. The playlist does have a way to change the renderer so you can use your own point symbols if you use the developer version.

0 Kudos
JesseBakker
New Contributor

Thanks for the info. It would be great to see that kind of simple filter tool as a WAB widget. Any suggestions for accomplishing similar functionality without too much coding? So far the closest thing I can come up with is configuring query parameters in the Filter App and then embedding that into the map series.

0 Kudos
JesseBakker
New Contributor

Including drop-down filtering based on unique values in a field within the Filter App would do the trick. Right now it's difficult to filter on non-numeric fields.

0 Kudos