Story Map Journal - map popup navigating to an entry

Jump to solution
02-17-2016 07:53 AM
StewartMcCall
New Contributor

Any one know of a way to get a custom popup in a map to go to a specific section in a Story Map Journal and not open in a new window/tab?

Can get the link to work fine but no matter what I do it always opens in a new tab - even if I edit the HTML in the custom attributes and change the target from the default "_blank", when I run the app it seems to ignore this and reverts back to "_blank".  Very frustrating...

Cheers

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

I think it's the Javascript API is forcing the link to open in a new window, I don't think there is a workaround for that (have you tried target="_self"?).

If you find a way to do it, note that it won't be optimal as the full app will need to reload. On GitHub we describe a technique that require hosting of the application that will allow you to do that. By default it require the features for which you want to create such an action to be in a single layer and don't support advanced popup like you have but hope this will help you GitHub - Esri/map-journal-storytelling-template-js: The Story Map Journal is ideal when you want to ...

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Is there a way for you to post a link to your story map here so that we can look at it and see its behavior?

0 Kudos
StewartMcCall
New Contributor

I've enabled public access for now...still in development.

Have a look at http://arcg.is/20Bzn0R

If you navigate to the 6th section called "Settlement - Ayr".  Top right of the map is a area labelled "Heathfield Strategy Area".  Click on it and look for the entry that prompts to see strategy map. Click the link and it will open in a new tab despite the attribute being "See <a href="http://arcg.is/1Q1amKV" target="_parent">Heathfield Strategy map</a> for details for this area".

If you inspect the element it's been changed to target=_blank

Don't want the overhead of opening story map multiple times as I've more of these areas to add to the map.

0 Kudos
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

blank_target2.png

Clicked on this popup which says "Heathfield Strategy Map" and clicked on "Inspect Element".

blank_target.png

It says target="_blank". I removed that section and clicked the link in the popup and i am able to load the map in the same window and not in a new tab.

I suspect there's some main.css somewhere that's forcing the "_blank" property on the <a> tag.

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

I think it's the Javascript API is forcing the link to open in a new window, I don't think there is a workaround for that (have you tried target="_self"?).

If you find a way to do it, note that it won't be optimal as the full app will need to reload. On GitHub we describe a technique that require hosting of the application that will allow you to do that. By default it require the features for which you want to create such an action to be in a single layer and don't support advanced popup like you have but hope this will help you GitHub - Esri/map-journal-storytelling-template-js: The Story Map Journal is ideal when you want to ...

StewartMcCall
New Contributor

Thanks for this.  Tried "_self" and every other option I could think of but seems the API always forces "_blank".  Who knew eh?  Will try and work out a different journey for the user that avoids linking from the map or opening the app multiple times.

0 Kudos