ArcGIS Online - Multiple Feature Services/Single Service Definition

Jump to solution
02-16-2016 06:00 AM
ThomasKonzel
Occasional Contributor

In ArcGIS Online, I have what may be a unique situation - we would like to use one service definition file for multiple feature services.  Not only that, but we also want to administratively enable/disable fields within each feature service so that each service shows its own set of data from the single service definition source.

• Is it possible to create multiple feature services using one Service Definition?
  • Can we enable/disable fields in ArcGIS Online?
  • If so, how are these things done?

Message was edited by: Thomas Konzel

1 Solution
6 Replies
JeffSegal
New Contributor III

Hi Thomas,

My understanding is this is indeed possible, as long as all of the feature services support the same capabilities.

Each feature service can have it's own pop up controls with editing enabled/disabled, or  individual fields setting enabled/disabled in ArcGIS Online.

This is done by setting up each feature service as a separate layer, then uploading the layers together to ArcGIS Online as a single Service Definition.  It will appear as one Feature Layer on AGOL, that when added to a Web Map will have have each FS controls exposed for settings.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

ThomasKonzel
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Jeff - good idea.  I'll do this and report back to your answer soon. 

Tom K.

0 Kudos
ThomasKonzel
Occasional Contributor

Well, this didn't seem to work the way I expected it to work.  Using ArcGIS Online, we want to point two different feature services at a single data source and enable editing and visibility on 1/2 of the fields in one feature service, and 1/2 of the fields the other feature service - allowing two different groups to contribute to a single data source.  I believe this is easy using ArcGIS for Server, but this workflow is for those without ArcGIS for Server.

Any comments or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom K.

0 Kudos
AdamDaily
Occasional Contributor II

Andy,

I've been reading through the "create hosted feature layer views" in AGOL, but I don't see guidelines in here for creating 1 view that points to multiple feature services or how to go about that, only to create a view of an existing feature service. is there a page that walks through how to create 1 view that brings in many feature services? 

AndyFairbairn
Occasional Contributor

Hi Adam - that link is about creating 2 or more different "views" of the same data, where you can customize certain settings differently on the two views, even though they ultimately are the same data. 

If I understand your question correctly, I don't think that there is a way to do what you're asking - i.e. grouping together data from multiple different sources, that already exist separately on ArcGIS Online?  You just have to add them separately to a map. 

Or perhaps you meant how do you create a hosted feature service with multiple layers?  I've created mine by sharing from desktop applications (both ArcMap or Pro - but a note of caution, they index the layers differently - ArcMap from 0, and Pro from 1, so things break if you try to update an existing service with the other program - or indeed if you change the order/number of layers!).  However, some of the pre-made templates in ArcGIS Online have multiple layers - e.g. in your Content area go Create > Feature Layer > Damage Assessment for instance. 

0 Kudos