AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to avoid job status timeout ("Response already committed") for long running geoprocessing jobs on ArcGIS Server (linux)?

Question asked by DSlayback on Feb 14, 2016
Latest reply on Feb 17, 2016 by DSlayback

I have some geoprocessing services published to ArcGIS Server that can take many hours to complete (which is expected and normal). This is using ArcGIS Server 10.3.1 on Linux (RHEL), launching the GP service via REST call. At some point after they've run for several hours (maybe 12 or more), you can no longer check the job status at the REST endpoint, eg:

http://arcgisserver:6080/arcgis/rest/services/GPTool/GPServer/GPTool/jobs/jc5cfc333f7af41219b9d90c850cb7330

Normally that brings up a listing of status updates from the GP job. But after some period of time, the returned webpage is blank, and trying to query it brings up SEVERE errors in the ArcGIS Server logs, with two separate entries:

Response already committed. Cannot forward to error page.

Unable to process request. org.apache.jasper.JasperException: java.lang.NullPointerException

Even so, the job appears to be running, as ArcGIS Server reports an instance in use. The timeout for the GP Service is sufficient to let it run for 24 hours (at which point, I assume, Server will kill it whether its complete or not, and that instance will no longer be in use).

I'm not clear if this disappearance of the job status occurs after a set time, or possibly at midnight; at midnight, the service properties are set to recycle (this is the default). I do know that such recycling does not kill running jobs, but maybe it kills the ability to retrieve job status?

I'd appreciate any workarounds if anyone knows of any. My GP services report various messages that normally appear in the job info page, that is very helpful for diagnostics (I suppose I could have it write those to a separate log file, but if I can simply retrieve the normally-available job status, that would be simpler!).

Outcomes