Convert .tif to .jpeg

Jump to solution
02-11-2016 11:24 AM
DarrenParsons
New Contributor II

Hi,

A coworker has a flyover tif file which is too big to register in another program. I am trying to convert it to a .jpeg.

I tried the copy raster function, but couldn't get it to work. It is already RGB, 8 bit unsigned, so I didn't understand what the problem was. Error message:

Executing: CopyRaster "N:\Common\Pad Scans\151005_Pad5_ortho-full.tif" "N:\Common\Pad Scans\151005_Pad5_ortho-full.jpg" # # # NONE

NONE 8_BIT_UNSIGNED NONE NONE

Start Time: Thu Feb 11 09:23:34 2016

ERROR 000446: Output file format with specified pixel type or number of bands or colormap is not supported. Refer to the 'Technical specifications for raster dataset formats' help section in Desktop Help.

Failed to execute (CopyRaster).

Failed at Thu Feb 11 09:23:34 2016 (Elapsed Time: 0.12 seconds)

Anyways, I loaded it as a layer, and just exported the map as a .jpeg, 3000 dpi works size wise. Our problem is that the corners of the image have a known location, and the export is adding a margin to the image. Trying to remove the margins is affecting the aspect ratio, or cutting out parts of the image.

Can someone please tell me either how to export the image with no margins, or how to import the image to not have margins in the first place?

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Not really GIS related but I have used Irfanview in the past for dealing with image conversions. It seems to work greatly. Check it out: IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

View solution in original post

7 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Not really GIS related but I have used Irfanview in the past for dealing with image conversions. It seems to work greatly. Check it out: IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

DarrenParsons
New Contributor II

Thanks! Worked like a charm.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

no problem!

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

I see you've found your answer, but in the tif raster layer properties, what are values for Number of Bands and Colormap (on the Source tab)?

DarrenParsons
New Contributor II

4 bands, absent colormap?

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

It may be trying to write a 4-band jpeg, which isn't supported according to the raster file formats document (1 or 3-band only). You can drop the 4th band by running Make Raster Layer, then try Copy Raster again.

DarrenParsons
New Contributor II

Thanks!

0 Kudos