ArcGIS 10.2 - Referenced Raster Mosaic hillshade function?

02-09-2016 04:10 AM
VincentLaunstorfer
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I just discovered the referenced Raster Mosaic using function such as hillshading. It looks great!

However, how could I adjust the display (file attached) in order to show only shades (black) and not the greyish parts?

I would like to use a sort of white or brown background and accentuate the relief with shades...

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Vince... is the attached too much?  It was just hillshade with shadows modelled

0 Kudos
VincentLaunstorfer

Thanks. Yes it is too much. I am looking for subtle shading such as the IGN map attached... A hillshading just to accentuate the relief and overlay other layers... If this makes sense.

Currently, I experimented the Hillshading function in a Referenced Raster Mosaic with a z-factor = 0.00001

Perhaps, this is the wrong function to use?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I get your idea... I did get distracted some time ago with bump mapping Introducing the ArcGIS bump map tools | ArcGIS Blog

can't get distracted for a while... post if you find something interesting.

0 Kudos
VincentLaunstorfer

Thanks for the Mapping Centre link on bump maps... Interesting and this need some experiments, time permitting.

The effect I am looking for is a sort of subtle shading such as the NG map sample attached. Perhaps tweaking the luminosity of the hillshading layer produced in the Referenced Modaic Dataset could help to produce a similar style...

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Yes, it may but I haven't had the time to check

0 Kudos
ArthurCrawford
Esri Contributor

Hello Vincent,

Since the hillshade function goes from 0 to 255, you could use a remap function to get rid of a range of the "grey" areas.   0 is darkest, so I would suggest starting with a 40 to 255 as nodata.     Another option would be to just apply it as symbology as we do in the World Topo Map and using the histogram.

Thanks,

Arthur Crawford

0 Kudos