Is there a way to track concurrent license usage and lockouts?

02-04-2016 09:45 AM
JacquelinePursell
Occasional Contributor

I want to increase the number of licenses we have but in order to justify it to the budget committee I need to prove that people are getting locked out often and that we are at max capacity often.  Is there a way to track this?

23 Replies
JacquelinePursell
Occasional Contributor

Looking across the forum I see this:

OpenLM for ArcGIS | OpenLM - Software usage monitoring & management

but it looks pricey for our budget.  So I'll have to justify more cost to buy more software in order to track usage to buy even more seems silly.

anyone have anything free that reads just simple things like we reached max capacity 3 times today and 4 people got locked out? Or something like that?

0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Jacqueline Pursell

Use Task Scheduler or AT (or a Python based scheduler) and parse the lmgrd server log for the ARCGIS vendor daemon.

Costs nothing but your time, and its been done many times in many flavors.

Stuart

JacquelinePursell
Occasional Contributor

Thanks V Stuart Foote!  Is there any documentation or python examples for this?  My python skills are limited, I can do some admin tasks using it but it's not often I dive into it.  I'm not a programmer by any means, but I try!

0 Kudos
JacquelinePursell
Occasional Contributor

oh and Task Scheduler...  I know you can do some advanced stuff in there, but how does that work?

0 Kudos
JacquelinePursell
Occasional Contributor

Ok I ran across some python scripts but they don't seem to work...  Python is not my thing, I can do some stuff but not much.  lmgrd log file parser · GitHub    I see the script is searching for certain words so I was looking at the lmgrd and noticed that a lot of date times are repeated (literally down to the second), not sure what that means.  For peak active connections, I am not sure if that means that we were maxed out??? 

During about 3 weeks time, I counted 380 OUT's for ArcInfo and 134 for Viewer and 135 Peak Active Connections, what does this mean??  Does anyone out there know how to interpret an lmgrd?

also I am considering a cheap solution for license tracking, my boss said go ahead and research!  So does anyone have a reasonable cost solution? less than $5k is ideal.

0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

So how many licensed seats of ArcGIS in the pool, and how many computers currently have (or expect to need) ArcGIS installed?

Actively metered management of licenses (Sasafras K2​, or Integrity SoftTrack) would extend well beyond just your ArcGIS desktops.  These and similar would provide very granular controls and reporting of licensing per launch.

For more general recording of usage either commercial product:

https://www.x-formation.com/license-statistics

https://www.openlm.com/

or even Flexera's own FlexNet Manager

http://www.flexerasoftware.com/enterprise/products/software-license-management/flexnet-manager-engin...

Cost for all are going to be driven by the size of your deployment.

But for the cost conscious, periodic parsing the plaintext debug log on the license server is perfectly acceptable. Simple scripting in script language of your choice (MS PowerShell, Perl, Python, etc.).

Stuart

JacquelinePursell
Occasional Contributor

There are less than 10 people using the 5 Advanced licenses and about 50 using 6 Basics.  We had recently gotten another 10 people or so with ArcGIS and I expect a few more to move up to Advanced level soon.  We are starting to hire more people with GIS experience in all kinds of fields so I expect our usage to grow over the next few years exponentially.

I just got some info from OpenLM, love the price and they have some great abilities, we can revoke licenses, track usage and up times, and do all kinds of statistics.  I can even set up tracking for programs without a license manager such as ArcPro or even Notepad (silly), so that is REALLY neat!  For everything I want, the cost is ~3k, the basics are $1500 and the up times (Actual Usage extension) is $1500.

Flexera just told me 20k minimum for super basics, OUCH!  No thanks!

Thanks for the other links, I'll check them out!

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I did a little test with a small snippet of Python code, to print out any DENIED licenses I have in a log file. Which yields this:

featureusercomputerdenied
"Editor"dduquejDDUQUEJ22
"ARC/INFO"xbakkerLOLIVARE16

The code below.

def main():
    log_file = r'D:\Xander\EPM\Licencias\LMgrd\LOLIVARE1_10.3.LOG'
    with open (log_file, "r") as inp:
        lines=inp.readlines()

dct = {}
    for l in lines:
        if 'DENIED' in l:
            # 13:50:40 (ARCGIS) DENIED: "ARC/INFO" xbakker@LOLIVARE1  (Licensed number of users already reached. (-4,342))
            l = l.strip()
            lst = l.split(' ')
            k = lst[3] + ' ' + lst[4]
            if k in dct:
                dct += 1
            else:
                dct = 1

print "feature\tuser\tcomputer\tdenied"
    for k, v in dct.items():
        lst = k.split(' ')
        feature = lst[0]
        usercomp = lst[1]
        lst = usercomp.split('@')
        user = lst[0]
        comp = lst[1]
        print '{0}\t{1}\t{2}\t{3}'.format(feature, user, comp, v)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()

If you are currently not experiencing any denied checkouts, you will not find any records in the log file. In that case you will need to monitor the license usage and try to project future usage:

That may be a more difficult job in case you don't have any history of usage statistics yet. We monitor the license usage with a scheduled task that executes a python script that generates some text output we load and analyze in Excel as V Stuart Foote suggested initially. I think we even used part of code posted by V Stuart Foote​ in earlier threads for this purpose.

It allows us to register peak license use vs time of the day:

... and distribution of license levels.

Our conclusion was that generating consciousness with the users about not leaving ArcGIS sessions and extensions activated when they are not in use and about what license level to use has helped us to not buy additional licenses.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Nice little script Xander Bakker​   

Couple questions.....what does the number under the "v"  column represent?  Number of times the person was denied??

And, is it possible to get the date/time stamp?

Sample of my output

0 Kudos