How do I show elevation points on my DTM using ArcMap?

Jump to solution
02-02-2016 10:15 AM
SiobhanO_Connor
New Contributor

I've downloaded Lidar data from the environment Agency website and have the DEM, but was wondering how do I get each individual elevation point to show on the map.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

according to the help topic, you can specify the field to use in creating the output points.  Since it is a DEM you undoubtedly want the Value field...aka the elevation since it is a DEM.  I suspect that your DEM raster doesn't have a table, since it is probably a floating point grid/raster.  If you try to open its table and can't, then that is why.  If it is an integer grid, you can open the table and examine the other fields...if any

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Well, you can get all of the points out from the raster cells

Raster to Point—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

which will look pretty messy, especially if your raster is dense, but you might want to be a little selective and prune that set, or select locations that you are really interested in

SiobhanO_Connor
New Contributor

Thanks that's great, sorry new to this but I'm looking at elevation data for a specific field, how do I select just to get data for that field alone?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

according to the help topic, you can specify the field to use in creating the output points.  Since it is a DEM you undoubtedly want the Value field...aka the elevation since it is a DEM.  I suspect that your DEM raster doesn't have a table, since it is probably a floating point grid/raster.  If you try to open its table and can't, then that is why.  If it is an integer grid, you can open the table and examine the other fields...if any