INFO Tables not showing-up in ArcCatalog

01-29-2016 02:42 PM
D__SamuelRajasekhar
New Contributor III

Hello All,

I have exported a GIS file to ArcInfo coverage using regions (there are multiple overlap, adjacent polygons, etc). So far so good. At the end I was prompted to add the result to arcMap. Which I did and there is the INFO table that I edited and closed. After that I am not able to see it. I could see the coverage (parent) but not INFO file. When I tried to export once again to INFO file, I could see the INFO file in the save to window.

There must be some way of working with INFO files in ArcMap.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Info tables are supported in ArcMap.

However, if an INFO table is part of a data structure (like an attribute table) it won't appear in the catalog listing, you'll see it by looking at the region feature class in table view.

If you really want to get into the guts of the regions tables you will need to use ArcInfo Workstation.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

As Curtis mentioned, INFO tables are just one part of the coverage structure. care must be taken when trying to edit an INFO table outside of an coverage editing session.   Do you have access to ArcINFO Workshop? (FYI, if you have the software, it can still be run with the modern concurrent-use licenses thru license manager).

What is it that you are trying to edit in the INFO file?

re the overlapping, etc geometry...have you looked into Topology in ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop ?  I have always been a fan of the old coverage "region feature" and used is heavily in the past. But with the topology rules, it is possible to have the same fell of the region feature within a geodatabase.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

According to the help, you will not see the info foder, but only the data within

Contents of a coverage workspace—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Go to the link and look at the visual example below this paragraph...

The contents of a coverage file appear differently in ArcCatalog than they do in Windows Explorer. Below you can view the contents of a coverage in ArcCatalog. The states coverage is contained in the Yellowstone workspace. The INFO folder in the workspace is not visible in ArcCatalog. The arc.adf file in the states folder is represented in ArcCatalog as the arc feature class in the states coverage