Movings points in my geometric network to their absolute X,Y obtained through GPS (part 2)

01-28-2016 05:49 PM
AdelaideZumwalt2
New Contributor

Original post located here: Movings points in my geometric network to their absolute X,Y obtained through GPS

I have the same issue as TanMay and was able to use this script to move some points based on the new X,Y coordinates. Thanks! Unfortunately as soon as I created a geometric network I got an error:

line 17, in <module>

for row in Cur:

RuntimeError: Unspecified error

Is there a way to get this script to work with a geometric network?

I also get this error when I try to run the script in ArcMap:

RuntimeError: The modified geometry must be a different geometry instance from the feature's original geometry (e.g., a copy or new instance). [class name = ServiceLocations, object id = 4]

Initial answer by: Neil Ayres

Without knowing the details it is difficult to say. Type of db?

Are you saying that the points are participating in a network?

You may have to wrap the update cursor loop in an editor session.

Message was edited by: Xander Bakker: Branched to new question.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AdelaideZumwalt2
New Contributor

I am using a file geodatabase and my points are participating in a geometric network. Esri provided this information:

34792 - The modified geometry must be a different geometry instance from the feature's original geom...

But I'm confused as to how to use the workaround. I need my lines to move with my points (as if I were using the "Move To" editing tool).

0 Kudos
ChrisZemp
New Contributor II

Did you ever figure this out? I am getting the same issue. Geometric network in a .sde database. 

0 Kudos
JoshPritt
New Contributor III

I'm getting the same error message in Schneider Electric ArcFM's Disconnect Tool in 10.6.1 if the SHAPE column is the first editable field in the list.  I would like to know what version of ArcGIS Desktop this specific check was added.  I don't think this check was in 10.2.1 because it works OK there, but it definitely is in 10.6.1.

The main idea is that you can't set the SHAPE column value = the same SHAPE column value.  You have to use IFeature.ShapeCopy to get a copy of the geometry or create a whole new geometry then set THAT into the feature's SHAPE column.

0 Kudos