Address shown as a suggestion doesn't geocode as a individual address?

Jump to solution
01-28-2016 12:26 PM
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

What is the difference in the source for the Search widget suggestion (the ones in the dropdown) as opposed to what gets returned from a geocode?

Usually an address that appears in the list of suggested addresses is what you get when you geocode.  We have an instance where the address appears there, but when geocoded only returns a streetName level match.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

Hi Tracy Schloss

That is weird. I tested this and I can see the issue.

But are you sure that if the address is correct? because I tried searching on Google and Bing Maps and none of them were able to find it.

WestWoodIssue.png

It is weird that Google also gives the same suggestions but does not show that on the map.

Is the address you are searching for is a recently developed property or a place? If that is the case then it may not show on the map as the data behind may not be correct.

Also, this may be determined by how the suggestions work and they might be picking up the data you have typed and the closest match that FindAddressCandidate can find.

You can make another Test:

1. On that same sample Zoom out of the map so that you are on world level.
  2. Search the Address "102 Westwood Blvd, Fulton, MO"
  3. DO NOT select the suggestion INSTEAD hit enter or search button.
  4. You will see that the geocoder will not be able to find this address and instead will go to the Fulton, Mo City.
  5. If you remove the "102" and hit enter, it will work.
  6. Another reason why there is a difference between selecting suggestions and pressing enter is the MagicKey. The magicKey is a unique key that is associated with every suggestion address. While the actual FindAddressCandidates only returns the highest scoring candidates.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Akshay

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

Hi Tracy Schloss​,

I am not sure if you are talking about World Geocoder service or a search within feature layer.

If you are searching in World Geocoder and trying to input an address, it will give you suggestions in the dropdown box. If you choose one of those suggestions which looks correct and goes to an inaccurate place then there might be something wrong with Either Suggest Task or FindAddressCandidates Task.

There are several network requests that is made for Suggestions to show (depending on the number of suggestion) and the FindAddressCandidates is the one that will trigger zooming in to the location which either can be triggered by clicking one of the suggestion (Will send suggested String to this task) Or it can be triggered by pressing enter/Search button (which will send the typed text to the FindAddressCandidates).

If you are clicking the suggested result and the Zoomed address is incorrect then we may have some problem. Please send the address or screenshots of the issue here.

Pardon me if this is not the issue.

Thanks,

Akshay

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe
0 Kudos
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

This is the World geocoder.  You'll see this in the ESRI sample:

http://developers.arcgis.com/javascript/sandbox/sandbox.html?sample=search_basic

The address is 102 Westwood Blvd, Fulton, MO

suggestedAddr.png

If you enter this into the Search, the address comes up as a suggestion , so you get the idea that its found an exact match.  But the result is only to the street Westwood Blvd, not to 102 Westwood Blvd.

resultAddr.png

I was surprised to see a different search result.   I would have expected that if it couldn't find 102 Westwood, it would only suggest Westwood Blvd at the street level in the first place.

AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

Hi Tracy Schloss

That is weird. I tested this and I can see the issue.

But are you sure that if the address is correct? because I tried searching on Google and Bing Maps and none of them were able to find it.

WestWoodIssue.png

It is weird that Google also gives the same suggestions but does not show that on the map.

Is the address you are searching for is a recently developed property or a place? If that is the case then it may not show on the map as the data behind may not be correct.

Also, this may be determined by how the suggestions work and they might be picking up the data you have typed and the closest match that FindAddressCandidate can find.

You can make another Test:

1. On that same sample Zoom out of the map so that you are on world level.
  2. Search the Address "102 Westwood Blvd, Fulton, MO"
  3. DO NOT select the suggestion INSTEAD hit enter or search button.
  4. You will see that the geocoder will not be able to find this address and instead will go to the Fulton, Mo City.
  5. If you remove the "102" and hit enter, it will work.
  6. Another reason why there is a difference between selecting suggestions and pressing enter is the MagicKey. The magicKey is a unique key that is associated with every suggestion address. While the actual FindAddressCandidates only returns the highest scoring candidates.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Akshay

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

Even then,

I do acknowledge that there is difference between the suggestion and actual result and interestingly google does that too, which made me think if they work this way.

Akshay

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe
0 Kudos