Where can I find UK population density data?

01-24-2016 10:51 AM
EllenWildig
New Contributor III

Hi,

I'm looking for preferably a raster which can be edited and reclassified which show population density in the UK. Alternatively, there is a data set available on ArcGIS online but some areas are NoData and I can't reclassify it. Is there a way to make it 'editable?'

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Why don't you

• get a census boundary file,
  • the population for those boundaries,
  • calculate the area for the census divisions, or put in a geodatabase to get area,
  • then population/area is your density.

All assuming you are using a nice projected boundary file so that your area units make sense.

• You can then convert it to raster.
0 Kudos
EllenWildig
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply.

Does this need to be done per census division or is there a way to do it in bulk?

Thanks

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the government would probably distribute geometry files (maybe shapefiles) which would contain the geometry data ... and have attribute files containing the attributes you need.  you join them together, and do the calculations if required in the attribute table.  If they had population density available, then your task would be one step closer to being complete.  Often, you need to take what is available and piece it together to get what you want.  All information is available in the help files and on basic tutorials within esri depending on your comfort level in using ArcMap

0 Kudos