Editable GIS Service

01-22-2016 07:03 AM
chadhickman
Occasional Contributor III

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone has had any success creating a ESRI GIS service that can be edited by multiple users through an ArcGIS Online platform and/or a versioned SDE layer?

A little background, my organization has created a large SDE, versioned geodatabase that contains several editable layers. These layers also contain .pdf "attachments." From this geodatabase I have created a dozen services that are being used in a ArcGIS online application that was created by our funding agency. What we would like to do is make these services editable so user in the funding agency can edit them too.

Anyone have any similar experience doing this?

8 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chad,

You will need to enable Feature Access on the services, and this will create a Feature Service provide editing capabilities within the web map/app.  See the following link:

What is a feature service?—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

chadhickman

Error.jpg

Jake,

I haven't quite made my way through the documentation you referenced but I did read something about creating a local copy and the syncing it back. Are you familiar with this process?

I did receive the error message above when trying to do this.

Chad

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Looks like you are trying to replicate the data.  This won't be necessary if you're trying to edit SDE feature classes in an Enterprise Geodatabase through a web application.

0 Kudos
chadhickman

I am trying to edit Feature Service not just features so I am a little unclear about what you are trying to say. Are you saying I need to add editing privileges with the SDE database and not the feature service? What if I create a subset of data for a particular feature and create a feature service from that?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Check to make sure the ArcGIS Server Account has read/write privileges to the SDE feature class.

0 Kudos
chadhickman

Little clarification I just received from my supervisor, the services need to be edited in ArcGIS Online not a web application.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

In your web map you will just need to add the Feature Service by going to Add > Layer from Web > paste in the REST URL.  Ex:

http://servername/arcgis/rest/services/Parcels/FeatureServer/0

chadhickman

error2.jpg

Jake,

I also received this message when I tried to edit the feature service by right-clicking -> start editing

0 Kudos