AnsweredAssumed Answered

GeoCoordinateWatcher vs. LocationDisplay

Question asked by FDM_Jim on Jan 19, 2016
Latest reply on Jan 20, 2016 by FDM_Jim

Hi Everyone

Two questions here. I'm just wiring up our runtime map to display a gps location and I'm wondering if there are benefits to using either of these items. Yes I know one immediate benefit to LocationDisplay is the direct link to the map and very little work required. When I look at the .Net Watcher, it has some properties of interest (DesiredAccuracy and MovementThreshold). I would assume ESRI would piggy back off this seeing it takes a .net LocationProvider; however there properties are not accessible.

Second question is in regards to the device itself and being connected to a GPS hardware (external modem...). When using either of these objects above, can someone help educate me on how to make the device aware it is connected to a GPS source and is location aware? For internal testing I use a Garmin puck (with USB) and Franson GpsGate to get a virtual com port. Our older ArcEngine map used a 3rd party software to listen to a specified com port with a defined baud rate to understand the incoming signal and fire off a position changed event.

If these questions seem to simple or obvious, my appologies, the Runtime world still feels new as I've lived in ArcGIS Engine for 10 years.

Cheers,

Jim

Outcomes