Exporting mxd's

Jump to solution
01-19-2016 09:26 AM
AlbertCarbonell
New Contributor II

Can we export an ArcGIS Pro layout as an mxd?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

The short answer is no, there is no option to export an ArcGIS Pro layout as an mxd. There are too many differences between Pro Layouts and ArcMap mxds. Even if it were feasible to implement such an export you'd probably lose a lot in the translation.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You can export a layout to various graphic formats under the Share tab when the layout is active.

AlbertCarbonell
New Contributor II

Thank you Dan, but you are referring to the graphic outputs. I was interested in mxd's so they can be opened and edited with ArcMap. I guess my only choice would be to save the .lyr files and have some predesigned templates for ArcMap. It's not the solution I'd like but...

0 Kudos
DavidBarnes

The short answer is no, there is no option to export an ArcGIS Pro layout as an mxd. There are too many differences between Pro Layouts and ArcMap mxds. Even if it were feasible to implement such an export you'd probably lose a lot in the translation.

AlbertCarbonell
New Contributor II

Ok, thank you David. I think it would be great to implement this. In other programs, MS Office for instance, you can save your work in older formats even if you loose part of the information. I think it would be nice to implement this. Some companies have more ArcGIS Desktop floating licenses than ArcGIS Pro linked to an AGOL account. Therefore, not every user will have acces to ArcGIS Pro. Even if we solve this, the profile of users is different. Some of them just open mxd's from time to time and do very simple tasks, they are not going to learn and change the system, it's not worth the effort. So I think it would be nice to think a solution for this, because if the advanced users of a company are working in Pro, basically for the 64-bit benefits, they need to share some of their work with the regular desktop users in a editable way, even if some features are missing.

DavidBarnes

You might want to post this as in idea on the ideas site, or see if someone already has and vote for it.

AlbertCarbonell
New Contributor II

Done, found this idea:

ArcGIS Idea - Ability to use ArcGIS PRO map files in ArcMap

Since not every organization will be immediately switching over to ArcGIS PRO, we are concerned about the in . . .

http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaView?id=087E00000005HTi#sthash.G5slU7cR