ArcCN runoff script unit conversion

Jump to solution
01-17-2016 03:03 PM
MERVEOZEREN
New Contributor II

Hello!

I have a question on unit conversion while using ArcCN runoff script. I am using metric measurements. My area data for landuse and soil maps are in squaremeters. Precipitation data is in mm. In original artical writers use inches for precipitation data but they have squaremeter unit for area data as I understood. Should I enter inches parameter for precipitation value or can I use mm parameter as I wanted to take runoff volume result in cubicmeters?

Any ideas there?

Thanks anyway.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
José_Luisdel_Río
New Contributor II

Hello again!

I finally achieved the integration of the interface into ArcGIS 10.2 but, as you experienced, some words and sentences look incomplete. I suppose this inconvenient is related to the version of the model, I mean that ArcGIS 10 is able to read the .dll file but it does not show all commands correctly. In any case, by analising the original paper and comparing the information with what I can see in the interface I understand that precipitation must be implemented in "inches" as a number, as it has been indicated by the author.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Can you provide the reference article snippets?  What units did they produce runoff in?  I am sure that there is a standardization/conversion at some stage.  I would examine the script to confirm. (a link would be nice, if you have it)

0 Kudos
MERVEOZEREN
New Contributor II

Thank you for your interest sir!

Here is the link for the script. The file contains datas also.

http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=13311

And here is the original article by creators of the script:

ArcCN-Runoff: an ArcGIS tool for generating curve number and runoff maps

Actually this is the point, I couldn't be able to understood what units did they produce runoff in...Rrunoff volume is asked to be calculated in cubicmeters (as I needed). Area data is in squaremeters (may be I was wrong) but precipitation is in inches.

To be sure I check the results; I look at the statistics for runoff volume column and area column. Division of total runoff volume value by total area value should give total runoff value (in m. or in mm.) as I know but it doesn't.

I would appreciate if you could tell me where I am mistaking.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The first link doesn't work on my machine and I don't have access to Science Direct from home, so help will have to wait until later.  sorry

0 Kudos
MERVEOZEREN
New Contributor II

Upps! I didn't know that I can attach files in this platform. Here they are attached Mr. Patterson, Original file and paper.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Well the dialog says it all, you get to specify the input parameters whether in inches or not and the field that contains the area will depend on your area field, then the output you can specify metric or not.  Have a re look at the dialog

0 Kudos
MERVEOZEREN
New Contributor II

Yes yes the dialog box seems so simple. What I see is attached. But sir, if the unit doesn't matter, how the result differs when I put P parameter in inches or in milimeters? And when I check the result and divide total runoff volume by total area, the result - I mean total runoff depth value -doesn't match with the auto-calculated value?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The units will matter since you provide them...for example your area field will control the denominator of the calculation

0 Kudos
MERVEOZEREN
New Contributor II

I see now. Thank you for your time and comments!

18 Oca 2016 17:31 tarihinde "Dan Patterson" <geonet@esri.com> yazdı:

GeoNet <https://community.esri.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

ArcCN runoff script unit conversion

reply from Dan Patterson

<https://community.esri.com/people/Dan_Patterson?et=watches.email.thread> in *GIS

for Hydrographic Surveying* - View the full discussion

<https://community.esri.com/message/581249?et=watches.email.thread#581249>

0 Kudos
José_Luisdel_Río
New Contributor II

Dear user Merve Ozeren:

My name is José Luis, I am a pre-PhD researcher in Spain who is very interested in applying ArcCN-Runoff to some watersheds but the model only works in ArcGIS 8.3 and 9.0, as you probably know. As I can see in the screenshot you attached to this comment, it seems that you are using such model in a newer version, perhaps through ArcGIS 10.1 or 10.2?. If I am right, could you please explain me how did you get to implement the model through a recent version of ArcGIS? By encrypting the model codes in Python perhaps? I am currently using ArcGIS 9.3.1 but I have access to ArcGIS 10.1 as well.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Best regards.

0 Kudos