Welcome to the new Python forum!

11-22-2010 01:03 PM
JimBarry
Esri Regular Contributor
Thanks for your input!

The community spoke and we listened.  You wanted a Python forum.  Here it is.  At one level it makes sense.  I'm using Python; would be nice if there was a Python forum to ask and help folks with Python questions.   Before today there was no single place for users learning and using Python to discuss issues and learn techniques for getting the most from Python.  Now there is.

But what if?

A bit of a risk we're taking is the possible fragmentation of the groups of folks that are using the forums.    For example, there are already forums for software products and functional areas that make use of Python (e.g., Map Automation, Geoprocessing, Spatial Analyst, etc.)    If you have a question to post and it involves, say Geoprocessing with Python scripting, where do you post it?     Geoprocessing?  Or Python?

Our recommendation is for best exposure and best results, decide for yourself the primary nature of the question.   If your issue is about really about Geoprocessing whether or not Python is involved, then go with Geoprocessing.  But if your issue is really about your use of Python as a programming language and scripting environment, then try here.

Let's give it a go, and let us know what you think.
Tags (2)
11 Replies
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III
This forum hit the ~100 thread and ~400 post milestone as of today. With an average of 4 posts per thread the Python forum is one of the highest post/thread ratios of all the forum topics (which is a good thing I think). I'd call it a success.

Thanks Jim.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Sounds like it has been a success, and it was really good that Esri implemented the new forum category.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
yet geoprocessing is suffering and the General tab is increasing with both geoprocessing and python stuff...kill general or institute the "Check/Look here first" sticky
0 Kudos
JimBarry
Esri Regular Contributor
Sounds like it has been a success, and it was really good that Esri implemented the new forum category.

It's good to see a lot of activity in the Python forum.   Having a Python forum to discussion Python issues sounds like a no-brainer (and it is), if one only looks at one side of the problem.   The risk on the other side was the added confusion having a Python forum might cause on the other forums which may have discussions which may include Python to some degree; like "where do I put it?".   Seems that is happening to some degree.   But at least the complaints to me have completely stopped, so I take that as a good sign that many are happy with the change.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
try
>>> python_test = "complain "*500
>>> print python_test
at the command line of your favourite IDE 🙂
0 Kudos
BartHound
New Contributor
I like the new python category, Chris was a wonderful champion in this effort.  It seems like a much easier time to reference now, compared to trying to pull out of the old GP, or even general category, so thank you Jim and Chris.

It does appear that Dan is still a bit upset, perhaps a new poll could be created in the Image of Mr Dan Patterson, and the others who feel as Dan feels, so perhaps we can then debate the merits of removing the new python forum, its a thought...
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
No need to debate the merits, what has happened is what I suspected, Python would go up, Geoprocessing would go down and the confused would increase the GP/Python threads in General...so all I want is for General to be terminated 🙂
0 Kudos
JimBarry
Esri Regular Contributor
yet geoprocessing is suffering and the General tab is increasing with both geoprocessing and python stuff...kill general or institute the "Check/Look here first" sticky

Ok, let me work on that.  What would the sticky say?  "Before posting here on the General forum, please check to see if there is a more specific forum that better fits your question or discussion."  (?)  

Ok, I'll weigh in again.  We cannot remove a General forum unless every more specific topic (within reason) has a home, a set that makes it intuitively obvious to users of all levels where their post should go, and that's probably not practical.  There are users who don't know enough about the terms or the software to know where to start.  There may be niche areas that can't really support an active set of users with their own forums.  There may be discussions that are general and overarching across ArcGIS.  

We cannot control where users make posts.  We can provide a list, we can provide instructions, stickies, but in the end folks will use the forums the way they want.   On the other hand, a sticky couldn't hurt, but a better solution is better moderation (ie., moving threads).   We need to improve on that.
0 Kudos
ChrisMathers
Occasional Contributor III
Is ESRI Forum Moderator a paid position? 😉
0 Kudos