Nominating data layers to Living Atlas

Jump to solution
01-18-2016 04:33 AM
MantasButrimavičius1
Occasional Contributor II

Hello, guys,

I am experiencing some issues while trying to nominate data layers (feature layers, tiles tayers, etc.) to Living Atlas. I figured out that the problem is that Contributar app does not evaluate draw time and pop ups of my data layers. Everything works fine with my apps.

In this case, I would like to ask you whether it is still possible to nominate data layers to Living Atlas. In case it is possible, how do you solve layer drawing time and pop ups problem? Could you reference me to some literature?

Thank you in advance.

Mantas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JimHerries
Esri Contributor

You can email the item’s URL to me at jherries at esri and I can have a look.

We have seen this issue occur when:

• a service is slow to respond
  • a service is slow to return all the features requested at the default extent of a layer
  • internet connectivity is having issues

For the above cases, empty the cache, reload the contributor app page, and try your item again. Also view your item in ArcGIS Online's item page and map viewer page, to make sure all is working as expected.

You do have a couple options to try to get a draw time score from a known, good layer:

1) when the Contributor app tries to draw your layer for the first time, quickly double-click on the map to zoom in. You may have to do this 2 or 3 times to “trick” the app into drawing the layer successfully at a scale where the layer is faster to draw

2) in the item page for your layer, choose Edit and manually change the layer’s extent to a small area, such as a neighborhood. Save the layer, and reload the Contributor app to see if it scores normally.

Jim Herries
Senior Principal GIS Engineer, GIS Engineering Lead
ArcGIS Living Atlas

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JimHerries
Esri Contributor

You can email the item’s URL to me at jherries at esri and I can have a look.

We have seen this issue occur when:

• a service is slow to respond
  • a service is slow to return all the features requested at the default extent of a layer
  • internet connectivity is having issues

For the above cases, empty the cache, reload the contributor app page, and try your item again. Also view your item in ArcGIS Online's item page and map viewer page, to make sure all is working as expected.

You do have a couple options to try to get a draw time score from a known, good layer:

1) when the Contributor app tries to draw your layer for the first time, quickly double-click on the map to zoom in. You may have to do this 2 or 3 times to “trick” the app into drawing the layer successfully at a scale where the layer is faster to draw

2) in the item page for your layer, choose Edit and manually change the layer’s extent to a small area, such as a neighborhood. Save the layer, and reload the Contributor app to see if it scores normally.

Jim Herries
Senior Principal GIS Engineer, GIS Engineering Lead
ArcGIS Living Atlas
MantasButrimavičius1
Occasional Contributor II

Jim Herries, thank you for ideas. However, I managed to find other solution for data layer nomination to the Living Atlas. Many thanks for that goes to Esri Nederland!

It seems that this is a Living Atlas bug (BUG-000093754) and you can workaround it by setting browser's language settings to English (US). Unfortunately, this solves only Draw Time issue. However, you can nominate data layer regardless Pop Ups score.

Lastly, as good as it might sound, it is still not possible to put these layers into Living Atlas. As a local Living Atlas curator I accept data layers that have more than 80 scores but they do not appear in the Living Atlas. Hopefully, the solution will come.