transferring gps coordinates from excel

01-14-2016 11:09 AM
JasonWaldvogel
New Contributor

I transferred gps coordinates from excel into arcmap! Only a handful of my coordinates are showing up, whats causing this and how can I fix the problem! Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

any blank rows? missing values?? was the spreadsheet formatted with columns set to numeric and the column field names space-less? 

with excel, there are lots of ways things can go wrong.  Get DNRGPS DNRGPS Application: Minnesota DNR  and use it to download your gps data, if it is still in your unit... it supports many formats, like shapefiles, etc

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Could you share a sample of the points that don't show up. That would help to see what is going wrong...

ChadKopplin
Occasional Contributor III

Please send a screen shot of your field names and a few of the records.  Thank you.  Also, try saving the layer out as a csv file, there can be some formatting being held in the Excel file that would be removed in the csv.

0 Kudos
JasonWaldvogel
New Contributor

just found that half the coordinates are looked in a different state! could it be that some of the coordinates are off!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

again... it will not be possible to tell if you don't post some of the values.

Also, are the data in a projected coordinate system and you are near the boundary of a change in zones (like a utm zone for instance)

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

....hmmm perhaps it is the illegal transfer of coordinates over state lines ... problem