Drainage Line Processing with ArcHydro

01-13-2016 06:06 AM
Labels (1)
UliSchmidt1
New Contributor

I have to do a flood study for my bachelor thesis with ArcHydro.

And I have a problem using "Drainage Line Processing" after "Stream Segmentation". It doesn't work an the error " Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt." appears.

Does somebody know what that means and what I can do about it?

Could it be that I have to much Stream Segments, because there are a lot?

Hope someone knows what to do.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

What happens when you use a subset rather than the full set?

UliSchmidt1
New Contributor

What exactly do you mean with subset?

0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III

Uli,

I think what Dan Patterson means is that you could reduce the number of stream segments. This can be done be increasing the number of cells used to define the streams (part of the stream definition tool). I think the assumption is that this will reduce the processing memory needs and maybe you will get past the error.

Best,

Mark

0 Kudos
UliSchmidt1
New Contributor

ok, that was what I thought, bit I wasn't sure.

I tried it with a reduced number of cells, but it didn't work. I had about 90 stream segments.

I will try the suggestion from Chad Bartman

0 Kudos
UliSchmidt1
New Contributor

I tried with a very high number of cells in stream definition. So there were only 19 Stream Segments. But it didn't help. The same error appeared.

0 Kudos
MarkBoucher

Uli,

If I were to run into the error you are describing, I would first reboot my PC. If your .mxd is on a network server, I would also move the .mxd and project to a folder with a short simple name onto the local drive (PC or laptop). The move to the local drive reduces errors that might be due to data transfers over the network. The short names (without spaces) reduces errors too, maybe related to some older codes that were made for shorter name strings (couldn't tell you for sure). On the local drive the processing also becomes much faster.

If you haven't check out ArcHydro Problem Solvers​, you may find several tips like the ones above to be helpful. I started that thread and others have contributed their questions and answers. You can contribute there too if you find a solution to your problem. You just have to post a link to this thread.

Good luck!

Mark

UliSchmidt1
New Contributor

Thank you Mark.

I didn't mind to restart my PC, but unfortunatly it didn't help either.

All my data and the .mxd are already on my local Drive. Maybe the names are too long, i will try it with shorter names.

Thank you, I already checked out "Arc Hydro Problem Solvers". Not just for this problem but for others too.

Thanks

Uli

0 Kudos
ChadKopplin

Take a look at your task manager to see how much available memory you have before you run the process, then leave it open to see what happens when you try to process, I suspect that you do not have enough memory. 

0 Kudos
UliSchmidt1
New Contributor

Thanks for the idea. I ran the process while looking at the task manager. But the memory were at 50 % before the process and not much higher during it.  I have 3 GB RAM.

0 Kudos