"Failure to access the DBMS server" with feature service

01-13-2016 12:27 AM
RomanChueh
New Contributor III

On one server I have ArcSDE running in SQL Server 2012 (SP2), and another server I have ArcGIS 10.3.1 Server hosting a feature service that access the ArcSDE database.   The feature service runs fine until I see the following error message in the ArcGIS Server log:

Error: Failure to access the DBMS server [08S01:[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]TCP Provider: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

And then the following error message on every feature service request:

Error: Failure to access the DBMS server [[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]Communication link failure]

It seems database connection was temporary disconnected, and  the only solution is to restart the service manually. 

My question is:  Why wouldn't the Feature Service reconnect with ArcSDE?  Is there anyway around this beside restart the service manually?

Thanks,

Roman

23 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Is there some time-out configured at the database side? What kind of tuning or configuration are you using for the service? Does it just happen to one specific service or to all services pointing to data in that database?

RomanChueh
New Contributor III

I don't have any time-out configured at the database side.  It's a fresh install of SQL Server 2012 running on Windows Server 2012 R2, and Windows firewall is disabled. 

The service contains a layer linked to a SDE feature class in the ArcSDE database. Other than having "Feature Access" capabilities checked, all other configurations are set to their default values.  And, I only have this service on the ArcGIS Server. 

I can simulate the problem by disconnecting network on the ArcGIS server for about 30 seconds, and then reconnect the network.  The service does not recover from the network failure, and required a restart to get it back working.  Shouldn't the service able to reconnect with ArcSDE after the network is restored?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

When looking for the data download on MyEsri, I noticed the  Native Clients for SQL Server 2012.  Do you have that installed?  It's found under the "Additional Products" section as shown in the second graphic (sorry for the poor graphic quality).

RomanChueh
New Contributor III

Yes, I have installed Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Native Client (64-bit) on the ArcGIS Server.  AddRemoveProgram.JPG

0 Kudos
PaulHuffman
Occasional Contributor III

Where did you find that download page?  I'm trying to find that version of SQL native client this morning.

0 Kudos
MichaelRobb

go to and sign into:  https://my.esri.com/#/

my organizations >> Downloads >> Downloads >> Arcgis for Server Enterprise >> Additional Products

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

0 Kudos
PaulHuffman

Thanks,  but it didn't work for me.  I have a real small list of downloads at my own My ESRI because I generally get downloads from the OTSGS, and it looks like they changed their passwords.  But now I see how that's supposed to work.  That's the way my morning has gone.  Everything I have tried to do has been blocked by passwords and insufficient permissions.  Folks in the next office thought I was having a fight with someone what with all the cussing and yelling. 

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Paul Huffman

I do not think they are esri specific (although I might be wrong), but zipped and attached.  both 32 and 64 for SQL2012.  Is that what you were looking for?

0 Kudos
PaulHuffman

Hey, thanks!  But it gave me the same error message as the one I found. I thought I had the wrong one.  Using the 64 bit version,  I got "SQL Server 2012 Native Client Setup Interrupted".  The 32 bit one doesn't even get started,  so that's more evidence I have the correct one.  I don't understand what my problem is. I've installed this twice on other machines this week,  and a bunch more last month.  Is it already installed?  Don't see it in services.  Should I see it in data sources if it were installed? 

I must have already installed it because when I tried Create Enterprise Geodatabase, I got simply "Failure to access the DBMS server",  and nothing about the SQL Server Client being wrong or missing.

0 Kudos