geocoding error in ArcMAp

01-06-2016 05:55 PM
CaroleWacta
Occasional Contributor

Hello ,

I am having errors trying to geocode this table in arcMAP. Can anyone please look at my excel file and tell me what I am doing wrong?

I have cleaned the file cannot figure out why it would not work in ArcMAP.

Thank you.

Carole

0 Kudos
21 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

what doesn't work?  although I did see some cells that lack entries and the odd spot where the city name got shifted over a column.

Are there error messages? a poor match count? what geocode settings did you use?

0 Kudos
CaroleWacta
Occasional Contributor

It just says an error happen while geocoding addresses. I am using the geocoding in ArcMap(first option)

Here are my steps

Here are the steps I followed:

1. Right-click Pubs table > Geocode Addresses

2. Choos an Address Locator to use > World Geocode Service (ArcGIS Online)

3. Sign in to ArcGIS Online (if necessary)

4. Geocode Addresses dialog box settings:

· Address Input Fields > Multiple Fields option

o Address: Address

o Neighborhood:

I will try cleaning the address field and running it again.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

My guess is some of the characters you have within the address field (and possibly the Name field) are the issue.

Try removing the "#" signs in the address (e.g.   11215 Abercorn St #2   and    Tailte Sports Bar & Grill )

EDIT...oh, and apostrophes      Casimir's Lounge

EDIT2:  and the first two records have space(s) before the city name

I haven't done a whole lot of geocoding, but those are red flags in my book.

TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

1) What errors are you having exactly?

2) Are you using the ArcGIS Online World Geocode Service (signed in to ArcMap through ArcGIS Online) or are you using your own geocoding locator and street data?

I geocoded the xlsx you attached from ArcMap using the ArcGIS Online World Geocode Service. I didn't get any errors. I got 88 matches and 3 ties. The ties were caused by mistakes or ambiguous notation in the address data. For example, the Minglz location has "6 teway Blvd E" in the address field, which is a bad address.

I don't think any geocoding problems are caused by characters like # and &. Not in the address data and definitely not in the Name field, which isn't used in address matching.

CaroleWacta
Occasional Contributor

I was using ArcMap. I will try it in Gis online then.

Are the steps the Same? I have never geocoded in GISONLINE

Thank you so much Tim.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
CaroleWacta
Occasional Contributor

Oh I read your answer wrong Tim.

So do you think then that the issue is computer related? Because I tried few times and it says geocoding encountered error. And that all I get.

Tks a lot

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
CaroleWacta
Occasional Contributor

Tim, I am attaching the error message.

I am doing geocoding in ArcMap. Using the GisOnline geocoding and exactly the steps that you had sent me earlier.

1.      Right-click Pubs table > Geocode Addresses

1. Chose an Address Locator to use > World Geocode Service (ArcGIS Online)
  2. Sign in to ArcGIS Online (if necessary)
  3. Geocode Addresses dialog box settings:
  • Address Input Fields > Multiple Fields option
    • Address: Address
    • Neighborhood: <None>
    • City: City
    • Subregion: <None>
    • Region: State
    • Postal: ZIP
    • PostalExt: <None>

Now I am thinking that this has something to do with my settings... What do you think?

I did geocode over 9000 addresses a week ago and it went smooth...

I am not sure what this means...

Thank you again

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Those settings seem right. I'm not sure what's causing your problem. You might want to get in touch with Esri technical support​. They could do a better job of troubleshooting it. In the meantime, attached is a shapefile of the geocoding results I got with your file. As I said, three of the locations may not have correct matches. One for sure doesn't because it's in China. The other two may or may not be correct--you can probably tell by looking at the points. If you want to try rematching these addresses, add the shapefile to ArcMap, add the Geocoding toolbar, and click the Review/Rematch Addresses button. In the Interactive Rematch dialog box, set the Show results drop-down list to Matched Addresses with Candidates Tied. That will pick out the three problem cases. For those cases, you have the option either of correcting the address in the Address window or picking the right location from the list of candidates.

Tim

0 Kudos
CaroleWacta
Occasional Contributor

Tim,

I can not see an attachment ,

Could you please resend it for me?

Thank you

Best.

Christine

0 Kudos