Creating mpk or Runtime geodatabase

Jump to solution
01-01-2016 01:59 AM
Bhargav_KumarK
New Contributor

Hello,

My application is such that,

1) I don't need Server for getting map data(Vector or Raster). All data is available in my local system i.e I create either mpk/tpk/runtime geodatabases and use in my runtime application.

2) Perform some queries on attributes of layer.

3) I need to pan and zoom the screen.

4) Setting visibility of layers.

So my doubt is for displaying of layers or rendering or searching which is better to use, mpk or runtime geodatabases?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor

In my opinion, if you can do what you need with a runtime geodatabase (the geodatabase you create from the Create Runtime Content tool), then you should use this. The main reason being that it is one less dependency that your application has, and will lower the size of you application quite a lot. It sounds like everything you listed should be easily attainable with the runtime geodatabase. However, if you would rather use the MPK and local server for another reason, that would be perfectly viable as well.

-Luke

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucasDanzinger

In my opinion, if you can do what you need with a runtime geodatabase (the geodatabase you create from the Create Runtime Content tool), then you should use this. The main reason being that it is one less dependency that your application has, and will lower the size of you application quite a lot. It sounds like everything you listed should be easily attainable with the runtime geodatabase. However, if you would rather use the MPK and local server for another reason, that would be perfectly viable as well.

-Luke

0 Kudos
Bhargav_KumarK
New Contributor

Thanks. The one problem with run time geodatabase I am facing as of now is, it is not able to have annotation layer in it. That is Annotation layer I am not able to package in run time geodatabase(the geodatabase we create from Create Runtime Content tool).

0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger

Yes, annotation layers are not supported in the runtime geodatabase, so if this is a requirement for your project, the MPK may be more appropriate.

0 Kudos