License Manager not installaing on ArcGIS Desktop / Arc Maps

Jump to solution
12-29-2015 10:40 PM
DavidBrown3
New Contributor III

Hi

Facts

I have been directed to ArcGIS Administrator since the Licence Manager has a status of Not_Set.

Running ArcGIS etc on Windows 10 using Bootcamp

Problem / Question

I have no idea how to install the Licence Mnager nor how to get the Licence Manager number? 

I have read the doc's and it makes no sense.

Note

I feel as if I need to be an IT Manager to follow any of this....I simply downloaded the 60-Day Trial to run a few simple tests to see how it compares to MapInfo.  And you are right I am not a IT Manager.  I am a Decision Maker and running a tender this month for one of either MapInfo or Esri to be used in a network planning tool:))))

All help is greatly appreciated / thanks / D

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

@David,

Actually not that rare an issue. What is not clear to folks (nor well explained during installation) is that the ArcGIS for Desktop product can be authorized (and run) in two broad categories.

One, concurrent or floating network license requiring use of a pool of licenses authorized and delivered from a server; the other mode is Single Use where just the local installation is authorized.

Trials of various lengths 90, 180, 365 days are ALL of the Single Use variety.  The Authorization code is activated against your trial user account--and your installation of ArcGIS for Desktop is then enabled by a simple network exchange of encrypted license fulfillment strings that are held locally on your computer and consulted at each launch.

Where you went amiss at the end of installation was that you did not set the seat type to be Advanced (ArcInfo) Single Use.  Your seat is set to the default Advanced (ArcInfo) Concurrent Use.

Simple to correct...

As an Administrator privileged user, with an active network connection.

1. Open ArcGIS Administrator

2. Select the Desktop panel

3. Select the Advanced (ArcInfo) Single Use radio button

4. Select the "Authorize now..." button to run the wizard.

5. complete the wizard and "authorize now via the internet"

Should be set. But post back if still stuck.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

@David,

Actually not that rare an issue. What is not clear to folks (nor well explained during installation) is that the ArcGIS for Desktop product can be authorized (and run) in two broad categories.

One, concurrent or floating network license requiring use of a pool of licenses authorized and delivered from a server; the other mode is Single Use where just the local installation is authorized.

Trials of various lengths 90, 180, 365 days are ALL of the Single Use variety.  The Authorization code is activated against your trial user account--and your installation of ArcGIS for Desktop is then enabled by a simple network exchange of encrypted license fulfillment strings that are held locally on your computer and consulted at each launch.

Where you went amiss at the end of installation was that you did not set the seat type to be Advanced (ArcInfo) Single Use.  Your seat is set to the default Advanced (ArcInfo) Concurrent Use.

Simple to correct...

As an Administrator privileged user, with an active network connection.

1. Open ArcGIS Administrator

2. Select the Desktop panel

3. Select the Advanced (ArcInfo) Single Use radio button

4. Select the "Authorize now..." button to run the wizard.

5. complete the wizard and "authorize now via the internet"

Should be set. But post back if still stuck.

DavidBrown3
New Contributor III

Thanks I have changed it to Single User and Authorised it and it worked.

The issue is that if one is downloading a trial it all becomes too complex

if one has to be an UT Manager.

I am a mere decision maker about to run a tender for a network planning

tool that will either use ArcGIS or MapInfo:)

It would be kind if you could advise on one other thing. I am trying to

use Mobile Backhaul Optimisation to rum a few case studies on our network

before the main solution is awarded in a month.

My question - can I use ArcGIS Editor OSM 10.3 instead of StreetMap Premium

to perform configure routable routing with a Network Analysis Data Set or

is it the routable function only available with StreetMap Premium?

Is the ArcGIS editor OSM supporting maps, shapes, buildings, steers in the

Philippines?

Thanks David

0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

An ArcGIS for Desktop Standard (ArcEditor) level seat (concurrent or single-use) and the additional Network Analyst extension will allow you to work with the prebuilt data of an Esri Street Map Premium licensed data set.

A no-cost extension for use with any level of ArcGIS for Desktop (Basic, Standard, Advanced) -- ArcGIS Editor for OpenStreetMap (OSM) extends ArcGIS for Desktop's File Geodatabase support for OSM. It must be installed after your ArcGIS for Desktop seat is installed and configured.

Unfortunately I believe, you will need the tools and support for File Geodatabase that the Standard (ArcEditor) level seat provides.  The less expensive Basic (ArcView) level seat would probably be insufficient for task.

Also to do terrain and LOS analysis you'll need to purchase the Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst extensions from Esri at added cost.

As to OSM or Esri's licensed StreetMap Premium support for locations in the Philippines, OSM may be viable in some locations--but coverage may be spotty.  I've no idea if Esri's StreetMap Premium data vendor has coverage in those markets.

Good luck with the project--maybe hire a GISP with skills in this area to advise you

Stuart